Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
B&W P5s. They are comfortable, sound very good and don't leak sound very much (in either direction). I've listened to better, well above my price range but as I'm a rather casual headphone user, the P5s are fine for my needs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been through a few pairs in my time.

The Sennheiser HD-650's were a little dark but very smooth - That was on a Graham Slee amp.
I then had Stax 303's that were very good on classical but lacked a bit of bass kick on rock etc.
I had a pair of woody AT's - look nice but not the ultimate.

I am now using AKG 701's and that is where it is at for the moment. I think my headphone taste changed as my speaker taste changed. I wanted more and more clarity and speed and enough bass to involve me.

I don't use the phones much these days- but there is a reason for that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two in the lineup:

A pair of Sennheiser HD-470 open backs. These have a nice airy sound. I've had these for years, and the foam is kind of worn, and the headband is broken. The drivers themselves still work great though.

This past summer I picked up a pair of Shure SE-215. These are in-ear-monitors with a wrap around design. They have foam or rubber tips. I absolutely love these things, for a myriad of reasons. For $100 they sound really great. These are the lowest model that Shure makes, so I'm sure the upper ones sound even better. I find the highs to be a little harsh. Also, the sound isolation is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!! I use the foam tips, which you insert like ear plugs: scrunch them up then let them expand and seal your ear. With these in and music from my Zune playing at 1/20, I can't hear people talking around me. 2/20, I can't hear people talking TO me. 10/20, I can comfortably drown out lawn mowers, vacuums, grinders, routers, etc. (Great when I'm hard at work building speakers :R) 20/20 = instant pain. Another nice feature is that once they're in, there is no chance they're coming out accidentally. They also sit flat in the ear, so you can comfortably rest your head on a pillow, which is nice for reading/napping. The cables are also detachable and swivel where they join the drivers.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Shure headphones, as well. After trying several different brands of headphones I ended up with the Shure DJ-Pro750 headphones. Made specifically with DJ'ing in mind, but they actually are surprisingly good for everything else. I tried others and some sounded better on specific parts of the sound spectrum, but I think the Shures have the most well-rounded sound of all the cans I tried.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm a big fan of the Shure headphones, as well. After trying several different brands of headphones I ended up with the Shure DJ-Pro750 headphones. Made specifically with DJ'ing in mind, but they actually are surprisingly good for everything else. I tried others and some sounded better on specific parts of the sound spectrum, but I think the Shures have the most well-rounded sound of all the cans I tried.
I've heard the Shure 840s and they were rather balanced. Another DJ Can i've been very impressed by, has been the Denon DN HP1000

·
Registered
108 Posts
I listen through Grado HF-1s. I've just recently pulled them out of storage, and have discovered the pads are starting to flake off on me when I wear them. Time to start looking for replacement pads, I guess.

I'm intrigued by orthodynamics, though. They're on my "bucket list". :D I haven't heard any yet, but the Hifiman HE-400s may find their way into my home someday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had a lot of headphones in my life. I am currently using Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, and absolutely love them. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD600s and they really didn't do anything for me. Found them quite "blah". I run my cans through a DIY Waarde tube amplifier which is wonderful. The trick with headphone amps you have to pay close attention to matching impedances. Saying that, a nice tube amp I consider "vital" when listening to music :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
For travel I use Sure E2C's wtih my ipod

For home I picked up a pair of HiFiMan HE-500's that are incredible, and I compaired them to a lot of others while at CanJam at RMAF this year.

For work I have a pair of Sens that are closed back, I like to crank it up some times :hsd:

I need to start looking for a good amp for the HE500s but an ipod will drive them no problems

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've been considering purchasing some IEMs for use with my phone (SGS2). I dunno how much use I'd actually get out of them though, so I'm looking to get some cheap ones (sub-$100). Unfortunately I missed out on the recent amazon deals for the ultimate ears triplefi10s or whatever they were. Anybody have any other recommendations? :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have used Senn HD580s for about 7 years. They are my reference source for a flat, accurate response. Though discontinued, the HD600s allegedly use the same drivers. They were underpowered by the first sound card I used to drive them so I made an amp as well. That was a fun project and turned out very nicely.

I use a set of Etymotic ER-6 canal phones when I desire isolation - mostly when mowing the lawn or running the snowblower.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sennheiser HD-800
Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii balanced/singled ended
Beyerdynamic DT-1350 balanced/singled ended
ATH-ESW10JPN

·
Registered
47 Posts
I loved my AKG K701 but they hurt the top of my head during long listening sessions and the open back nature sometimes disturbed my wife, etc. Sold them and bought a pair of ATH M-50s as well and can agree with every word the OP said. Fantastic headphones and comfortable too. Gave my wife my pair of Yamaha RH5MA that I also liked a lot... great bargain headphone.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I loved my AKG K701 but they hurt the top of my head during long listening sessions and the open back nature sometimes disturbed my wife, etc. Sold them and bought a pair of ATH M-50s as well and can agree with every word the OP said. Fantastic headphones and comfortable too.
Just as an update, I've since heard the Denon DN-HP1000s. In my opinion they are superior headphones to the ATH-M50s, no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Very nice! I just picked up a pair of the ATH-M50S Limited Edition ones. I really like these cans. For portability I also got a pair of Triple.Fi 10 IEM.

I am looking for any excuses that allow me use my cans and IEM now. :)

21 - 40 of 140 Posts