Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to add a blu ray player to my HTPC, what's every ones opinion on which one to get( seen some that required software) mostly for playing movies...but if its a burner also that's fine

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
My experience has been that most Blu-ray and DVD drives are not very reliable. After spending a lot of money on high priced drives that would only last 12 - 18 months I gave up. Now I just consider them a consumable item that'll need to be replace quite often and go with Lite-on or ASUS.

You'll need some software to play. Sometimes the drives come with software but the easiest most trouble free way is bite the bullet and spend ~$80 on some good software. Personally I like CyberLink PowerDVD have also used Nero. I not tried ArcSoft Total Media Center but hear it is very good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...do you use your blu ray drive a lot?? is that why they only last that long?? on average how many times a week do you use it?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
That is just what I found most disappointing about the expensive drives I've purchased in the past. I really didn't use them all that much (perhaps that why they didn't last long) maybe 5 - 6 times a month. Sometimes I'd go 3 - 4 months without using them only to place a disc in and find out they would no longer work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts