Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running a pair of 18" LMS5400s is fairly large sealed enclosures. I was contemplating new enclosures with a pair of 18" PRs for each driver. Not that I have any complaints about the sound quality.... but I would like to let these things breath a little and see what they can do :innocent: The VMPs would be the obvious choice but I'm assuming that they are nowere to be found. In the absence of the VMPs, what do you guys think would be the best PR choice for these drivers? Comments greatly appreciated.

Allan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Actually (finally!) just starting on my 18" LMS-Ultra/2x18" PR build, as described here. Only I've decided to let it go to 200l, tuning to 14.6Hz. Gonna be a 26" cube of 1.5" Baltic birch all around.

Ended up buying the 2500g passives from John at Acoustic Elegance; they're the highest mass he recommends.

Was trying to keep the build as small as possible due to spousal concerns, but if going for performance I'd recommend a larger box with lighter passives. Good for several dB more output for given power, and probably less distortion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never modeled anything with a PR before. I'll have to start with that. I see that you used Unibox..... any suggestions?

Visually, the PR's at AE and CSS look that same. I take it John just did a custom pre-load for you?

200L would pretty much be my limit as well. They are currently in sealed enclosures approx 164L. They are big enough as is :).

Allan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Actually, given that you already have 164l boxes, adding 2500g PRs to them wouldn't be terrible, like 16Hz tuning. Dimensions/construction allowing, natch. Still gain a lot of headroom (higher output *and* lower distortion) over sealed in the 15-30Hz range.

For PR sim, I've only used Unibox, and only for this project, so hardly experienced, but I found it fairly straightforward. Others are much more proficient, I'm sure. Forget if I had to fudge any driver/PR parameters, but lemme know if you're missing any.

Yes, I had John custom-load the PRs for me, which he did for a nominal charge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My current enclosures are built like a rock (no cutting additional holes in those bad boys). I'll have to start over. I'm currently enthrawled by the guy who cloned the Danley TH-SPUD. I may just consider rebuilding the riser instead :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts