Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at Onkyo and Denon. I saw the Denon 1912. Real nice but I saw they aren't updating the firmware anymore. Onkyo, at least the pictures I saw, seemed to have more offerings in the online services.

I am guessing they all stop updating after a while to keep you buying new stuff, but is one better than the other at giving updates and more features for online content (spotify, etc.) I know there are workarounds to things and peripheral devices but interested in integrated. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looking at them in general. I do have an ipad 2 though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think Onkyo takes the prize for having the best checklist engineering. But personally I would focus on a receivers main job and go with the one that sounds best, then focus on what your I/O needs will be. Then I'd build a small ITX or mini atx form factor Intel Core i3 or AMD APU powered HTPC for any desired online content.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Onkyo takes the prize for having the best checklist engineering. But personally I would focus on a receivers main job and go with the one that sounds best, then focus on what your I/O needs will be. Then I'd build a small ITX or mini atx form factor Intel Core i3 or AMD APU powered HTPC for any desired online content.
How do I get that computer sound from the computer to the receiver, and it sound good, same as any other source?

·
Registered
876 Posts
How do I get that computer sound from the computer to the receiver, and it sound good, same as any other source?
For the most part, it is the same as another source. Some companies like audioquest will say no; but they dont have the best of reputations when it comes to integrity in marketing. There are numerous ways to get PC sound to a receiver or audio system. A lot of PCs have SPDIF coax or toslink audio. Many newer PCs have HDMI and there are a lot of Sound Cards dedicated for HTPC use. Which one I would recommend, would depend on what you intend to do and what kind of equipment you already own.

:geek: Shuttle (one example of many) makes a nice little compact box with a tiny motherboard. For HTPC use, I would suggest AMD due to its high quality integrated GPU and low cost. If you are interested in going down this route, let me know as we could explore many options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts