Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I need assistance on which receiver to purchase.
I have found a really good deal between 3 receivers, Denon X4000, Denon 4520 and Marantz SR7007.
The X4000 and the Marantz SR7007 are approximately $100 in price difference and the Denon 4520 is approx $600 more in cost.
I have not upgraded in 15 years, I still have my old Denon AVR 3600 which still plays to this date.
I have ordered B&W CM5's, B&W Sub, Panasonic 65VT60 but I cannot make up my mind on which receiver to go with.
For right now, I am running 5.1 setup.
I know both of the Denon's have XT32 while the Marantz 7007 only has XT. But is this really a big issue?
I like the looks of the 4520 and SR7007 more than the X4000 but I know I should not purchase a receiver on looks alone. lol
Please help.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I know both of the Denon's have XT32 while the Marantz 7007 only has XT. But is this really a big issue?
Yes, in my experience it makes for an audible difference, since XT32 concentrates its room correction in the lower frequencies (where it is needed most).

If you don't see yourself going past a 7-speaker set-up, then the X4000 should be fine. If you plan on adding heights or wides, then the 9 amp channels in the 4520 will be useful...

...Or save some money by waiting for the upcoming Marantz 9-channel receiver:
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR7008

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Comparison between the different versions here: http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq
And a list of AV receivers with XT32 here: http://www.audyssey.com/products?field_multeq_flavor_value[]=MultEQ+XT32&pid=All&ptype=5

If you don't see yourself going past a 7-speaker set-up, then the X4000 should be fine. If you plan on adding heights or wides, then the 9 amp channels in the 4520 will be useful...

...Or save some money by waiting for the upcoming Marantz 9-channel receiver:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR7008
The AVR-X4000 can process 9 channels, with 9.2 pre-outs, so you could get 9.2 audio with the addition of a 2-channel amp. It could still come out less expensive than the SR-7008.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
The AVR-X4000 can process 9 channels, with 9.2 pre-outs, so you could get 9.2 audio with the addition of a 2-channel amp. It could still come out less expensive than the SR-7008.
If a 2-channel amp is an option for the OP, then he can save even more money by getting an Onkyo 818, which can process 9 channels (and has XT32).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If a 2-channel amp is an option for the OP, then he can save even more money by getting an Onkyo 818, which can process 9 channels (and has XT32).
The 818 does not have sub EQ so if your going to use 2 subs then Sub EQ is beneficial.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I did not think that was the case but the owner's manual confirms it. Learn something every day. One more reason that 818 is such a great value. Thanks for the info Sanjay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your input.
I ended up getting such a good deal on the Denon 4520, I went ahead and ordered it. I could not resist.
The dealer is an authorized Denon seller. The owner purchased several at one time and placed a really good discount on it.
I should receive it Tuesday.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your input.
I ended up getting such a good deal on the Denon 4520, I went ahead and ordered it. I could not resist.
The dealer is an authorized Denon seller. The owner purchased several at one time and placed a really good discount on it.
I should receive it Tuesday.
From what I've heard you won't be disappointed. Enjoy your new toy and let us know what you think once it's hooked up!

·
Registered
197 Posts
The 4520 is an amazing product. I'd look at it myself to replace my aging 3805 but right now I have to replace a 1610 I own because I sold it to a friend today. So my choices are anything from a E300 to an X2000, depending on what my wife will let me spend. I'm going to try to stretch for a X2000 but if I can't the E400 and X1000 are overlapping products....they cost about the same but have slightly different features. Not sure why Denon bothered with making two different product SKUs.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
You will not regret the 4520... and you will have lots of room for expansion if you so decide to add more channels or upgrade speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will not regret the 4520... and you will have lots of room for expansion if you so decide to add more channels or upgrade speakers.
Sonnie, I read your excellent review on the 4520 and I had to have it.. lol
i should have it tomorrow or Tuesday, I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I bought the AVR-X4000 because I thought Front Wide was hype. It definitely is not: it makes an amazing difference in the sound stage. I am driving my FWs with an external amp, and it works fine. I'd buy the AVR-X4000 again, in a heartbeat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts