Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using 1/48 smoothing filter in my Preferences. Should I use another smoothing filter like 1/6 instead ? What is the impact on using 1/6 vs 1/48 besides smoothing out the measured curve ? Tks

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have been using 1/48 smoothing filter in my Preferences. Should I use another smoothing filter like 1/6 instead ? What is the impact on using 1/6 vs 1/48 besides smoothing out the measured curve ? Tks
I am pretty sure that smoothing/averaging setting only affects the display, not the measurements.

I think the rule of thumb is to use very little or no smoothing for the low frequency graphs and heavier (1/6 or even 1/3) smoothing for full range graphs.

Ethan Winer of Real Traps recommends setting smoothing at 1/24 for LF and 1/3 for MF and HF range graphs
http://www.realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the smoothing filters be applied after measurements?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

I think the rule of thumb is to use very little or no smoothing for the low frequency graphs and heavier (1/6 or even 1/3) smoothing for full range graphs.

Ethan Winer of Real Traps recommends setting smoothing at 1/24 for LF and 1/3 for MF and HF range graphs
http://www.realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm
Zheka has it right: No smoothing for low-freq graphs, 1/6 or 1/3 for full range. Due to comb filtering caused by reflections, most rooms deliver a “ragged” graph for the upper frequencies. Smoothing allows you to see the underlying trend in frequency response.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wayne , you are right , the high freq graphs are raggedly without the smoothing filters. BTW when running the Sub curves should I leave the LPF of LFE at 120hz ? Would this setting would impact sub measurements in stereo mode ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts