Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to spend ~$100 or less on an spl meter and I'm wondering if there are any benefits to buying one other than the ratshack digital?
Trying to eQ five main speakers and run REW for my Tempest-X to help build a proper ported enclosure for it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Galaxy 140 is better than the RS meter as the mic is more accurate particularly above 10K It can be found at Musicians friend for $99

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm....I just chcked there and it was listed as $129.
Is it more accurate below 10KHz?
I don't think I need to worry about ultra high-end accuracy as I have defined hearing loss up high.
But if it is more accurate from 20Hz-1KHz then it would be worth it?
Also, is the CM-130 junk or the same quality as the CM-140 just only able to go up to 130dB?(I don't think my system can go past 130dB)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
its a little bit better as it goes slightly lower before dropping off.
I think Sonnie may still be able to get the deal for $99. I would PM him to see if its still available.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:)

What do you guys think about using a Mic. instead of a meter?
I was told I could get a Mic. for $100 or less that would be more accurate than any meter that price and since I will be using REW that I should go that route?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you still need a db meter as REW wont know what levels it is seeing without it.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Is it more accurate below 10KHz?
I don't think I need to worry about ultra high-end accuracy as I have defined hearing loss up high.
Doesn’t matter, you still need an accurate reading up there. The problem with the RS meter is that it shows wonky response above 4-5 kHz or so that doesn’t in any way reflect what the speaker is actually doing. The CM140 seems to be a good “one-stop” device that will get your SPL readings for calibration and give good full-range readings as well.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Wayne!

The following is a quote from the same person who reccomended a mic over the RS meter....is he correct?:
"I have never used REW (I use TrueRTA) but if the software supports dB readings then all you need is a mic. That is all a dB meter really is, a mic and some software to give out readings. If you have a mic (an accurate one) and you have software that will interpret the mic signals, that is all you need."

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was his question to me earlier and I could not answer it.
Thank you again Wayne and everyone!

So spl meter it is...is the radioshack one not good to use really at all?
I ask because Sonnie doesn't have that hook-up anymore and musiciansfriend has them for $129.(+shipping....so ~3x the cost)

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You have three possible choices. Take your pick.

1. Radio Shack SPL meter.
Suitable for subwoofers, and up to ~3KHz.

2. Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter.
Suitable for full range.

3. Microphone and SPL meter.
Suitable for full range.

That's it.

brucek

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I don't know a ton about speaker calibration do and dont's, but can my AVR's Audyssey take care of my mains for now and I can use the RS to run REW so as to find out what design to go with for the ported box I want to build for it.(currently in a sealed cube for room test purposes)
Then I can sell the RS down the road for little and buy a CM-140 for my mains?(if needed)

Sound like a decent plan?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After a few PM's telling me that the RS is a waste I was sent this, fro mthe same gentleman who was trying to help me before:
"Absolute SPL level doesn't matter for room measuring. All that matters is that REW's sweep is loud enough to be well above the ambient noise floor in the room. So use REW's "set levels" test (which plays pink noise), and make it fairly loud but not so loud it hurts"

......so he is urging I pass on the cheap dB meter and just use a mic? No idea what to do, lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts