Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I personally would run to RatShack, buy the cheap analog meter, and use it. Blow off the high frequencies for now, just get the sub balanced with the mains. No, it's not a precision instrument, but it's plenty good for that purpose.

In the mean time, be on the watch for a sale/used mic and preamp, or, go get a mic and preamp when you can't stand it any more, and worry about the high end at that point.

I would say he's correct about the absolute level not mattering, but I think it's nice to know. Plus, I've used my meter in a few other places, like work. It's kind of a cool toy to have.

·
Registered
302 Posts
After a few PM's telling me that the RS is a waste I was sent this,
......so he is urging I pass on the cheap dB meter and just use a mic? No idea what to do, lol.
Matt.
As I see it (and I believe we have similar perspectives), the choice depends on your needs:
- the RS SPL meter will let you do basic LFE/sub EQ and room modes for $55 and some interconnects.
- The ECM 8000 + mixer will let you do that plus an awful lot more for only ~2x the price.

The question isn't how deep financially, but rather how deep technically you'll want to dive into this stuff. From my similarly-inexperienced perspective, complexity and ease of task completion favor the RS meter. If it's lack of accuracy above 550 Hz becomes a problem, it'll be a signal that I ought to upgrade.

It doesn't hurt that my local RS has one in stock ...

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
As I see it (and I believe we have similar perspectives), the choice depends on your needs:
I agree with you 100% ... if the RS meter is good to about 3KHz that's enough (to me at least) :yes:

BTW ... Welcome to the forum :wave: ... and don't forget to introduce yourself in the member Area :T

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A member on that other forum was nice enough to send me his analog RS meter. Will be here tuesday.
Now I need to figure out how the **** to use REW. :)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
A member on that other forum was nice enough to send me his analog RS meter. Will be here tuesday. Now I need to figure out how the **** to use REW. :)
That is nice ... Did he lend you or sell you the SPL???

You'll have good time with REW, it look intimidating at the beginning ... but after a couple of measurements you'll see :bigsmile:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lend with no hurry for a return, he also has an ECM8000, mixer and CM-140 that he would sell me in parts or together for cheap in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Lend with no hurry for a return, he also has an ECM8000, mixer and CM-140 that he would sell me in parts or together for cheap in a couple weeks.
:T ... SPL is a nice tool to have around, I use it to check levels after I use YPAO or make any change in the audio settings :yes:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the RS in the mail just an hour ago.
Did a 40Hz tone @ 1m and it stuck at -2dB on the 120dB setting.
Off to try to wade through REW. :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I know it's stupid, but to see the numbers is a great thing.
You already 'Know' it's good, but their's always a little doubt. I kept thinking I 'know' this i better than my eD A5-550, but then for a second I'd think well maybe not.

Makes the whole DIY process that much more gratifying. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

My first post

I've used the RS meter with great success! However, I've taken into account the discrepancies above 3khz. The instruction manual shows the discrepancies and the amount of DB's it is out by.

Recently I’ve been using a behringer Mic. This came out at the same price as the RS meter. However, with it's balanced output and need for a phantom power supply is very awkward to connect up to a laptop. I've also gone through a few PSU's! I still go back to the RS meter for quick testing and ease of use.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
However, with it's balanced output and need for a phantom power supply is very awkward to connect up to a laptop.
The ECM8000 requires a suitable preamp such as the Behringer XENYX 802 to bring the level to line-level. A laptop also requires an external USB soundcard to accommodate the line-level signal.

brucek

21 - 34 of 34 Posts