Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just happend upon this site in my quest to figure out what to do for my HT room & here's the deal.

My girlfriend is moving in with me & she has some stereo stuff she wants to use (I obviously feel some of my stuff is better) & her stuff does have sintemental (sp) value. She lost her husband (she's 37) 2 years ago this Jan. ......

He was into Boson Acoustics speakers, Yamaha receivers, parasound amps & mirage subs.

Myself I am into

Infinity kappa 8.1 VII speakers +1 for me
Denon receivers (AVR-3000, 7yrs older then her yami) so +1 for her :) ... upgrade in the near future
Adcom amp (I have 1 & she has 4) so +1 for her (I want the 600x2 sunfire for my kappa's)
Subs - subless (my kappa's do really well but I want more) so it will be +1 for me which

Her Mirage subs are only 8in drivers & to me in her house are really boomy & do not play low stuff very well. My kappa's play much deeper but for a movie I want more.

Anyone have experience with Image Dynamics speakers specifically their IDQ12 line? That is what I am leaning to due to using the smaller IDQ10 in my car & loving it's performance. Always heard excellent reviews of their stuff in cars, but I cannot find people using it in their home. These speakers do not require much power & are VERY musical. I was thinking of going with 2 IDQ-12's probably powered off of my Adcom GFA-5500 (I might buy a 2nd amp, her paradigm amps I would use on my kappa's if we decide they sound better then her Boston's). Should I go with 4 12's or are 2 enough???

Is it better to have the subs positioned on the same plane of the main speakers/centers or is it OK to put the subs behind my main speakers? We are going to build a entertainment center over my fireplace (allergies keep me away from burning wood) which will hold everything. We can make it so the subs are on each side of the lower center channel or they could be put on the fireplace a foot above the floor behind the main speakers.

I also need a subwoofer x-over, any opinions on what's out there? I was told Outlaw ICBM-1 or Paradigm X-30. Any other options out there?

Any other thoughts/suggestions

thanks in advance!!! my 1st post :jump:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, Gary! How big is the HT room and will this be used for HT or HT and music? There are 4 different IDQ12's, all with limited Xmax for a HT application. (9.5 - 13.5 mm) Depending on what your needs are there may be better subs. Give us some more information and we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my room is kinda funky..... about 13 feet across & 21 feet long (I think) with about half of the back wall opening up into another room & 70% of 1 side wall opening up to another room with just shy of 8ft ceilings.

I would say possibly mostly HT but depending on how it meshes with my present speakers I might want to use them with music. There are definantly times I would like more low end then what my kappa's have (VERY finicky for placement in the room they were in), so maybe the box should be more for music.... I dunno.... SQ is my goal I guess

The IDQ's would be the IDQ12V3D4 I beleive which are their newest version in 4ohm dvc. They also have the IDMAX12's but a tech I briefly talked with via email stated they were not needed for this setup.

The ID products are suppose to be very musical which is why I am considering them.......

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, that's what I meant... I just swapped the numbers

D4 is dual 4ohm
V.3 is the latest 3rd version of the driver

oops & thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
That makes IDQ12 #5 and this one is looking much better then the others. In 4 cu.ft tuned to 22 hz it will take 500 watts and do 107 db at 20 hz, plus room gain. A subsonic filter at 18 hz is a must. Porting can be done with two 4 inch flared ports 32 inches long or a slot port 3" x 8" by 29" long. Port air speed is under 22 m/s. For your size of room I would suggest two subs, each would be about a 22 inch cube.

I can't find a price on this sub, how much are they?

Q12.JPG

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!!! Now I need to see how to fit a 4cu ft box up there. These subs retail for $350 & are on sale for $270 at woofersetc which I beleive is the only online authorized retailer for image dynamics products.

If the box isn't deep enough to have the port going straigh is it possibly to put a bend in the port, 90 degree or whatever works?

subsonic filter.... where would I get something like that?

are there subs you would suggest over this? I know it's probably difficult to compare since you have probably never heard one of their drivers.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Port bends for round or slot ports is not a problem. A subsonic filter can be an add on unit like the Reckhorn B1 or the Elemental designs eQ.2, about $100. As for subs I would suggest, since you mention both HT and sound quality, there is a sub called the 12" Infinity Kappa VQ which Andrew has, it's said to be a very linear sub, and Andrew is about as picky as it gets when it comes to sound quality. His sub build is here:

http://avsoundlab.com/builds/kappa vq.htm

It's the same size as the sub I modeled, 4 cu.ft. tuned to 19 hz. I believe they cost around $200. I'll ask him to join us here since he knows the finer points of this sub.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL.... I acutally had the infinity kappa perfect 12.1 in my car a few years back, always loved the bass from infinity.... very linear like you stated.

Definantly be interested to see what he has to say..... I wonder if I could buy 2 IDQ 12's & let him test them out on his system.... probably to much of a PITA to do....

·
Registered
136 Posts
The ID unit is great for audio applications, but as Mike stated, it will fall short of your HT requirement(s). Look for something with more excursion - you'll be glad you did. Also for the price, there are a number of units available that will swamp the ID in HT. Look around a bit more.

Good luck!
Mark

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
The Infinity Kappa Perfect/VQ series drivers are extremely linear throughout their rated excursion. In the proper cabinet they will allow for extreme dynamics with no audible noise/distortions. The VQ build Mike linked is my personal cabinet, due to requests I designed a simplified, but high performance, cabinet found here discussion can be found here and here.

This design will provide more SPL at 20Hz and above than most people will use. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the build thread stated "Integrate the unit with a DCX2496" what is that?

I plan on buying a paradigm X-30 to work as my xover & I plan to use probably 2 Adcom GFA-5500's to power the subs (I have 1 GFA-5500 now)

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
The DCX 2496 is a full feature equalizer/crossover component. It will allow for ideal integration of the subwoofer(s) with your main speakers as well as full range equalization.

The Adcom does not have sufficient power to push the Kappas ideally.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea.... that's what I like about the ID stuff.... they are suppose to not need much power to sound great & since they are DVC each speaker would be getting 600ish watts ea from my Adcom. I would love to buy new amps to power the subs but first I will need something better for my main speakers.

Would this be better then the IDQ, the IDMAX?

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/manuals/iDMax/iDMax12D4V3.pdf

IMP 2 / 8ohms Nominal Impedance
Re 3.0/ 6.0 Ohms DC Resistance
Fs 20Hz Resonant frequency
Qes .40 Electrical “Q”
Qms 2.1 Mechanical“Q”
Qts .34 Total “ Q”
Vas 5.81 cuft (165 liters) Equivalent volume
Xmax 24.9mm One way linear
Sd 545 cm2 ConeArea
Spl 93.1dB/88 dB 1w/1mG.P./SPLi
Pwr 1000 Watts RMS POWER

Are there any other manufacturers that I should consider?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just looked at infinity's site again.... this is a link to kappa vq specs

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Owner's Manual/Perfect VQ OM FINAL (Revised 12-2-02).pdf

Looking at the 2 spec sheets (IDmax vs kappa vdq) it looks like the IDMAX has a greater xmax vs the infinity? Is that the case??

I definantly wouldn't have a problem using kappa subs since my speakers in my stereo are all infinity kappa & since the kappa 12 VDQ's go for $300 a pair on ebay....... I just want to do it right

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
It would seem the IDMax is rated at higher Xmax, but without actual testing it isn't possible to know the distortion behavior of the driver within this rating and in turn the truth of the rating. Ideally, xmax is the point where the motor strength deviates by 30%, but as with many specifications this is not the case.

The design linked is for the single voice coil version of the Kappa VQ, but the DVC specifications are close enough so that performance differences will be minimal.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The Image Dynamics driver stats look awesome but at $499 there might be other drivers for you to checkout. See the advertisers at the top of this page for more options.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think since I am now on my 9th post... I can check out the sponsors :)

The IDMAX are only $450 :) still a lot..... not sure I want to spend $1,000 on just 2 drivers....

I will give the sponsors a look....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts