Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
ILKKA,
Excellent work! Keep up the testing. It really is valuable info for purchasing the anchor of the home theater system. I would love to have you get your hands on a Velodyne SPL100R sealed sub and let me know the results. I own two of them and wonder how they stack up against others like the JL Fathom.
Thanks,
Adam

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
ILKKA,
Excellent work! Keep up the testing. It really is valuable info for purchasing the anchor of the home theater system. I would love to have you get your hands on a Velodyne SPL100R sealed sub and let me know the results. I own two of them and wonder how they stack up against others like the JL Fathom.
Thanks,
Adam
Hi Adam,

Do you mean the SPL-1000R? I believe you do, so therefore the SPL-1200 MK2 (Series II) I tested recently would be a pretty good match. It has a 12" woofer instead of a 10", and it's the predecessor of the newest R series. If you want to guestimate its performance, I'd say the extension will be slightly worse (2-3 Hz compared to the SPL-1200 MK2), and also the clean maximum output will be somewhat lower, especially at the low end. But since co-located duals give you 6 dB higher max SPL, the combined performance would be slightly higher than what the SPL-1200 MK2 can offer. But of course if I'm being 100% honest with you, even the duals are still pretty far away from the performance of a single Fathom f113. :innocent:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Whoops. I missed typed. I own two SPL-1500Rs. But I do appreciate your honesty. I paid a good price for the two subs when I bought them as a pair, but I'm not sure I get 5K worth of performance from them. A lot of that has to do with placement though I realize. Again, thanks for all the good work you have going here.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
How about getting the Behringer B2092a subwoofer for the next round of tests Illka? Dual 8"s, 350watt amp and 73lbs for about $250. I've heard one and thought it sounded pretty decent with music, but we didn't try anything at high volume or with HT. I know it won't have much below 30hz, but it's cheap!

Also, all of the Elemental Designs subwoofers are 220v compatible. Any plans to test one of them?

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
How about getting the Behringer B2092a subwoofer for the next round of tests Illka? Dual 8"s, 350watt amp and 73lbs for about $250. I've heard one and thought it sounded pretty decent with music, but we didn't try anything at high volume or with HT. I know it won't have much below 30hz, but it's cheap!
That particular Behringer is available here for 250 EUR (around ~$370), but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in it? I usually try to test subwoofers that are popular among potential subwoofer buyers (or already owners).

Also, all of the Elemental Designs subwoofers are 220v compatible. Any plans to test one of them?
Yes, possibly. There are a few issues though. At the moment all of their HT subwoofers have a 6 to 8 week lead time, which isn't a good thing when the subwoofer has to ship to Finland too. Also there is the money issue. No matter how much fun would it be, I can't just go out and buy and test every subwoofer that people or myself want. I simply don't have that kind of money when noticing how much money and time these tests take already in their current state. So therefore I have to limit my testing mostly on subwoofers that either the end-users or the subwoofer manufacturers can lend me (or people donate towards the subwoofers like with the DIY drivers). And unfortunately at the moment neither will happen when it comes to the eD subs.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Whoops. I missed typed. I own two SPL-1500Rs. But I do appreciate your honesty. I paid a good price for the two subs when I bought them as a pair, but I'm not sure I get 5K worth of performance from them. A lot of that has to do with placement though I realize. Again, thanks for all the good work you have going here.
Ok, that changes thing "a bit". :) The SPL-1500R has a quite similar extension to the f113, maybe a few Hz less. The duals you have will be able to generate around the same maximum SPL as a single f113 would do (at most frequencies). Distortion profile would be quite similar, with the dual Velodynes having a slight edge. Other variables such as group delay would be pretty similar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! sounds like I'm doing alright with my 1500Rs, so I'll keep them around for a while. Thinking about changing the locations in the room though. Thanks again for the insight.
Adam

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
That particular Behringer is available here for 250 EUR (around ~$370), but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in it? I usually try to test subwoofers that are popular among potential subwoofer buyers (or already owners).

I was just thinking that it might interest some people who aren't looking to spend much, and that you could probably find one to test in Finland.

Yes, possibly. There are a few issues though. At the moment all of their HT subwoofers have a 6 to 8 week lead time, which isn't a good thing when the subwoofer has to ship to Finland too. Also there is the money issue. No matter how much fun would it be, I can't just go out and buy and test every subwoofer that people or myself want. I simply don't have that kind of money when noticing how much money and time these tests take already in their current state. So therefore I have to limit my testing mostly on subwoofers that either the end-users or the subwoofer manufacturers can lend me (or people donate towards the subwoofers like with the DIY drivers). And unfortunately at the moment neither will happen when it comes to the eD subs.
I understand. I was just throwing it out there since they do have switchable voltage amplifiers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would love to see the Nubert NuBox AW-991 and the AW-1000.

These are all German quality subs and they are cheaper for us Europeans to buy than U.S subs with similar performance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Getting back to the behringer sub-interseting inquiry. The thought of a home theater setup using mid field monitors has crossed my mind as Genelec and jbl have produced some 5.1 studio setups. I think everyone would be pleasantly suprised with the results of that behringer sub if you can get your hands on one.

B

·
0 Posts
Hi,

i`d like to see the Visaton TL-Sub in the comparison.
It is a DIY-Woofer, developed by a german speaker-builder, extraordinary in size :)
The best way would be to contact the manufacturer directly (although it`s a kit, the support is extremely good). The engineer of this little thingy sometimes travels around with it for testing-purposes.

Here is the description
http://www.visaton.com/en/bauvorschlaege/subwoofer/tl_sub30/index.html
and to contact try these numbers (i assume you still test in finland)
http://www.visaton.com/en/contact/europe/finnland.html

I myself own it, that`s why i really would like to see your charts.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Hi Ilkka!

Where are you? No post since 30/01/2008?? When are we going tosee results of some mamouth 18" subs.... I am :clap:ing in advance!

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Hi Ilkka!

Where are you? No post since 30/01/2008?? When are we going tosee results of some mamouth 18" subs.... I am :clap:ing in advance!
Hi Ahmed,

I'm right here. :wave: Just been quite busy lately, sorry about that.

No tests yet since there is still a lot of snow on the ground. At least two more months before the weather is warm enough for the tests.

T

·
0 Posts
Ilkka,

Would you be able to test one of the Martin Logan Descent i or Depth i subwoofers? I'm considering getting the Depth, but I realize that there are a lot of options for that price level (and under). Another possibility would be a used DD-12 or saving a bunch of cash and going with an SB12-Plus. Any subjective thoughts on either of these subs?

S

·
0 Posts
Thank you very much for conducting the tests!

Additional tests that I'd like to see, in order of priority (for me personally):

1. Elemental Designs A7-700

2. Revel B15a

3. Paradigm Servo-15 v.2

4. Mackie HRS120

Thanks again.

S

·
0 Posts
Added another to the list:

Additional tests that I'd like to see, in order of priority (for me personally):

1. Elemental Designs A7-700

2. Adam Sub2100

3. Revel B15a

4. Paradigm Servo-15 v.2

5. Mackie HRS120

Thanks again.

181 - 200 of 269 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.