Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have tried to acquire this new HSU sub but for some reason they seem reluctant. I offered to pay the full price but still no luck.

Sad, but I've spotted a trend where it to me seems as if some ID manufacturers are shying away from measurements, and are using specs that more resemble those of brick and mortar companies where for example the stated +/- 3db points are with optimum room gain.

Not saying that Hsu necessarily is part of the latter

·
Registered
746 Posts
elemental designs 13av.2 in 2.5cf sealed to compare to jl's fathom. probably would come up short as JL's amp is pretty sweet. I'd also like to see this driver in 4.5cf tuned to 15hz.
JMO...but they would fall short in SQ as well.
Never know if there published specs are accurate either.

I second Steve's reccomendation for some Seaton sub testing.

Also, Illka...I'd be willing to send you my DIY if not too cost prohibitive.(ep2500-ed Eq.2-sealed Tempest-X, in 24" cube)
...if you are interested.
Kevin has supposedly sent out drivers for testing, but he has not reported back yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I own one, so I would love to see definitive's Trinity subwoofer tested. Hopefully I made a good choice. It sounded better than than any other sub I tested at a dealer when I shopped around, but I auditioned a Fathom in a dealership that was completely open, so that probably had something to do with why it didn't sound very good. Plus I got the trinity for a thousand less.:T

·
Registered
41 Posts
And now for once, an easy wish! : )

The PB10-NSD

The ISD have been measured more than once, but is the NSD any different, and if so, how? So if you should happen to have one laying around, please drag it into the parking lot : )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Danley DTS-20
Paradigm SUB 25

The Bose will be funny. I'm sure there is a Bose dealer in Finland. Just get one and return it when you're done.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is there anyone willing to duplicate the testing maybe stateside? I would still love to have Ilkka doing tests because he's does it so well, but I know with his new job it will be difficult for him to continue testing as he has in the past.

Just to keep the ball rolling, maybe we could have someone here get the type of testing gear that he has and try to give the same tests that were so good from Ilkka. I would volunteer (and I have the land for it), mainly because I would LOVE to test all those wonderful subs, but I just don't have the pocket to buy all the necessary equipment to run the tests.

C

·
0 Posts
If someone(s) are willing to send subs, I am willing to do some testing. I have Smaart6, Earthworks M30, etc. I would need a large area, field or parking lot, emphasis on large; and one or more people to help move and store and ship/receive subs, with a pickup or van, as I only have my car. I don't have time to organize and oversee, just show up and test. Pink noise, sine sweep, music - let me know.

I would like to see offerings from Danley (we are a dealer, could probably get DTS-20 and TH-50 with enough lead time), JTR, and Seaton at minimum. The better SVS would also be a plus. In addition to anything else you would like to see. We could probably get some Speakercraft models for demo, along with our stock Bose whatever the model pro (501BP? for sale!), and I could probably scare up a pair of JTR Growlers. We also still have a few Bose Acoustimass 'subs' I could throw in.

Thoughts?

Caleb Dick
VSI

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is there anyone willing to duplicate the testing maybe stateside? I would still love to have Ilkka doing tests because he's does it so well, but I know with his new job it will be difficult for him to continue testing as he has in the past.

Just to keep the ball rolling, maybe we could have someone here get the type of testing gear that he has and try to give the same tests that were so good from Ilkka. I would volunteer (and I have the land for it), mainly because I would LOVE to test all those wonderful subs, but I just don't have the pocket to buy all the necessary equipment to run the tests.
You are in luck. Avaserfi (the guy from the new AVSOUNDLAB section of this site) is currently in the process of acquiring professional microphone and sound calibrator and will be designing tests similar to the ones that Ilka produced; primarily measuring commercial products. I don't know how long before tests start getting published. You should ask avaserfi for details.

-Chris

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yes... the mic kit and calibrator is coming straight from IBF in Germany and will be here Wednesday. He already has everything else to do very comprehensive testing. It should be good to have someone in the U.S. to do testing. He plans to test commercial subs, diy subs, sub drivers and even full range speakers.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yes it is good news that someone will be taking up the mantle on this. I've already commited to sending some drivers for Andrew to play with whenever he lets me know he's ready.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Just to confirm... I do not want anyone thinking we are trying to replace Ilkka's testing. Ilkka will confirm that he intends to continue, albeit maybe not being as involved as he previously has been. This will simply give us more testing on various subs and drivers that may have been difficult to get to Ilkka... as well as additional testing, which is always welcomed.

241 - 260 of 269 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.