Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After struggles, I've got a working machine to use with REW.

I also have a Mitey Mike II from Old Colony (with .cal). It's omnidirectional and I get that for subs it really doesn't matter which way you point it. But if I'm doing full-range system measurements, which way should the mic be pointed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If your only testing your mains/sub then pointing the mic at a 45o angle up towards the ceiling facing the front/center is the best but if your dong a full surround system straight up at the ceiling at ear level is going to give you the best results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your only testing your mains/sub then pointing the mic at a 45o angle up towards the ceiling facing the front/center is the best but if your dong a full surround system straight up at the ceiling at ear level is going to give you the best results.
I suppose I can expect some top end roll-off pointed at the ceiling, eh?

I'm very curious to measure the whole system, speaker by speaker. I want to see what my receiver's calibration / PEQ really brings to the table.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You have to remember that even your ear is not hearing sound directly on as they are pointed to the side, a mic works in the same way and thus should not be pointed directly at the speakers. Your room response is as much a part of the sound you hear and that is why you should not point it directly at the speakers.
The proper way to even hold a mic is not to point it directly at the mouth but to speak or sing across it thus giving you better sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But when I do individual driver tests, I do them very much nearfield, with the mic pointed perpendicular to the cone / dome. I think that's what caused me the confusion.

·
Registered
999 Posts
IMHO, far-field (sweet spot) point it up.

Near-field (close mic'ing of an individual speaker driver response) point it straight at it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, as Bob says close up you want to point it at the driver, my misunderstanding.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It all depends on what you're trying to measure and glean from the measurement.

So really I should ask, what practical improvement to the system are you planning to make after taking the measurement? Or what kind of issues are you trying to track down?

Do you want the anechoic frequency response of each speaker? A good analysis of the reflections in the room? Distortion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts