Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a bit of an opportunity coming up. I currently have 2 sonotube ed 16Ov's. They are smooth powerful beasts. The build here.

I also have a single 13AV collecting dust. There's a guy wanting to buy my 16Ov's from me. It'll be hard to turn loose but, I was curious how a pair of 13AV's ported would sound. The smaller box would be nice. I know eD sells a kit with a pair sealed but, as far as I could tell they couldn't touch the output of the ported 16Ov's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used to run 4 sealed 13av.2s with their lt1300 amps. I was unimpressed with the output down low, coupled with the bad lead slap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I believe i found an older post on a different site buy you. The problem I'm having is there are so many lesser experienced people and alot of with the new buy-high reviews. I was inches away from pulling the trigger when I hit your post. Your experience you described kind of described what I initially expected.

I would think the duel 13Av's would be an amazing setup. For others. I got a feeling I would be very disappointed stepping down from the two 16Ov's.

I'm going to build a ported box for the single 13Av I have and see how it sounds. I would still give up a bit of output for the smaller enclosure.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How does the 13av2 model in a ported box? They seemed to perform well for me sealed, very flat response down to single digits, just not the output I was looking for. I'm a bit of a nut though, as I'm replacing two THTs with 8 sealed malx 18s.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the 13av2 model in a ported box? They seemed to perform well for me sealed, very flat response down to single digits, just not the output I was looking for. I'm a bit of a nut though, as I'm replacing two THTs with 8 sealed malx 18s.
8? 8??? 8?!?!?

Wow, I got a question though, why sealed Mals? Ported will require much bigger boxes but, those things rock the low end in ported situations or you can let go a few of those and get some passive radiators.

As with most decent subs, ported the 13Av's get a huge boost in spl where it's needed most. I'm not an expert by any means but here is what WinISD says. I can't get it to embed for some reason but, here is the link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/koopa4747/5300351306/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts