Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old Samsung HL56A650 DLP. It's old but it really has a great picture, better that the newer lcd we've got upstairs.

A couple of weeks ago we noticed a white dot on the screen, now there's 2. I couldn't figure it out because this set has a lamp and a color wheel. My son surfed around and it might be the dlp chip and it will probably get worse.

My question for the real experts is: Is this s symptom of a dlp chip failure and how difficult is it to change one.

Thanks and have a great day

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
White dots are almost always a DMD failure. Hard to replace? Not really, but it depends on the model and how good you are with assembly and dissassembly of things. Alignment can be tricky and tedious on some models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I've been surfing around and the DMD chip seems to be the most likely culprit. I've had this set apart once and kind of know where its located. Its a 56 inch set with a nice picture but I really don't know if its worth the money to replace it. The chip is going for about $180, considering all of the other things that could go wrong with an old set like this and the prices for 55 inch sets out there, I might opt for something newer. Thanks again though.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Wise choice, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I was in the same boat.
Bought one of the first DLP TVs with a built in HD tuner.
Loved the TV and even though it was $2.5k when we purchased it when it came time to repair it we decided going with a new TV was the right thing to do.
Prices are just so much lower....actually prices for TVs in the same lineup position are about the same, but the entry models are much less expensive and loaded with features compared to what used to be available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts