Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! Its been a while since I last delved into the world of DIY screens (about 4years). Things have moved on quite a bit since then and I have to say you're all as mad as a box of pandas. I am however in awe of the research and development work that has been going on and after a week of surfing around the issues I might be getting half a clue about what's going on.

Anyway the issue. I take delivery of my new AE4000 next week and retire my AE700. My home made BOC screen is crying out for replacement as it was only supposed to be temporary when I made it 4 years ago. So I want to make a new fixed screen for the new projector but find myself in a dilemma. I want to watch movies in a fairly light controlled environment and I'm sure that a matt white screen will suit the 4000 well. However we also like to watch sport with friends round and sometimes watch TV with a few low level lights on and before it gets truly dark outside. So I want the best of both worlds and plan to make a double sided screen, white on one side and an ambient light beating neutral grey on the other.

At last, my questions:

If I plan to use two screen types which one should I calibrate my projector on? The white screen will be used for movies where I would want the best colour reproduction but I think if I calibrated on the white the performance on the grey would be poorer? If I did it the other way round perhaps the performance on white would be more forgiving?

Secondly, If I want an ambient light compensating grey that will allow me to watch TV/Sport with an adequate picture quality would Black Widow be the way to go with this projector?

Set up is in a lounge with cream walls which is not ideal, I know. I hope to darken the decor soon if "her indoors" will allow it! I plan a 100" screen with a throw of 17'.

What do you reckon fellas?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
If I plan to use two screen types which one should I calibrate my projector on? The white screen will be used for movies where I would want the best colour reproduction but I think if I calibrated on the white the performance on the grey would be poorer? If I did it the other way round perhaps the performance on white would be more forgiving?
Calibrate both. While I don't have a Panny AE4000, most projectors usually let you save a couple of different user settings. My BenQ allows me to save 4 IIRC.

Secondly, If I want an ambient light compensating grey that will allow me to watch TV/Sport with an adequate picture quality would Black Widow be the way to go with this projector?
But of course! ;) Nothing is more well known or more well used than Black Widow. Accept no substitute! :T

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out even my AE700 has 3 user defined settings that can be saved. Just looked at the manual for the first time in a couple of years!

So if calibration is not an issue then I'm good to go. I'm investigating using an aluminium composite panel as the substrate. Not sure of the cost but should be far lighter than MDF so I can do a quick turn around on my own. Hopefully it will be rigid enough to use an aluminium channel frame without bracing. A friend used to print signs on ACP and says it should be OK. Anyone here ever used it?

Then I need to source AAA (probably from Australia). I can get Dulux Half Ellen here in NZ to match Bermuda Beige. BW certainly seems the way to go. I'm impressed with the scientific evaluation of this mix especially when compared with the mysterious alchemy used to promote alternatives in "other places".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts