Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shack Moderator , Platinum Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your impression with the upgrade? I noticed a significant improvement when I upgraded my PB2+.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
According to Illka tests, the changes should not be very significant as the 12.1 is already a very good driver. Can you describe your feelings, and share this with us?

Thanks in advance.

W

·
0 Posts
Kipp,

I think I bought your old drivers on ebay a week or two ago. Were they the 12.1 or the 12.2 drivers?

Thanks,

Warren

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to Illka tests, the changes should not be very significant as the 12.1 is already a very good driver. Can you describe your feelings, and share this with us?

Thanks in advance.
The efficiency was better and the depth that the drivers would produce was very noticeable.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kipp,

I think I bought your old drivers on ebay a week or two ago. Were they the 12.1 or the 12.2 drivers?

Thanks,

Warren
Hi Warren,
Yes, those were mine 12.2. I am waiting for you to leave me feedback so I can leave you positive feedback. Everything get delivered o.k.???

W

·
0 Posts
Kipp,
Yes everything was perfect. You should have feedback. Sorry it took a while, but I just finally got a chance to test them today. With a newborn in the house, there is very little time for hobbies lately.

These drivers certainly look a bit beefier than the standard driver in my CS25-31. Hopefully I will get around to using them in a pair of DIY subs sometime in the next 6 months.

Thanks,
Warren

G

·
0 Posts
I would like to know this too. I bought my dual 20-39cs+ subs back in 2002.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Be nice as this is my 1st post here.

I upgraded from the 12.1 to 12.3 in my 20-39PC+ and believe that i was the 1st in the UK to recieve the new driver thanks to the guys at AV Sales

Once the new driver was settled in, i re-calibrated the BFD and felt that it gave a slight more impact than the old one. This may be due to that fact that the 12.3 is more efficient, and that i have not altered the gain :bigsmile:

I felt that the biggest impact was in music, and find that the mid-bass produced by the 12.3 much more pleasing to the ear.

I have yet to tune my tube to 16Hz, but could bottom out the older driver during WOTW or FOTP. I may have a play soon, but am more than happy with the upgrade as it stands. Wel worth the £99 in my opinion.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I can't get WOTW to bottom out my PB12-Plus/2's. Wayne and I watched it when he was here and we had it cranked on up there pretty good. It was awesome... both subs tuned to 16Hz... jar your false teeth out... :bigsmile: ... but no bottoming out. I think we actually tried a few times on various DVDs, but never succeeded. Just pure body slammin' bass!

There was a scene on Superman Returns that some said would bottom out their sub, but I couldn't find it either and my wife thought the house was coming down a few times when I was watching that movie.

Steve, are you boosting any frequencies with your BFD?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Steve, are you boosting any frequencies with your BFD?
Nope. Just 4 cuts to tame a couple of rather large peaks. I can only assume that the sound i heard was the sub hitting its stops.

It was kind of like a loud Crack, which drew my attention away from the screen and towards the Sub. I did have it up pretty loud, and run it a bit hot anyway :bigsmile:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Cool... the only reason I asked was because when I had previously boosted an area of my response, I noticed a thud or two on certain scenes. Fiddling around and testing one day I took the boost out and the thud went away on one of those scenes. So, I started experimenting and sure enough, the boost was what was causing the thud. The only thing I could tell I was missing when I took the boost out was the thud itself. I didn't miss anything else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i've upgraded my driver to 12.3 recently and need to run-in. But in general i've the same openion of steve. To my ears 12.3 gives gives you slight tighter bass than old driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts