Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to spend no more than $200 on the driver. I listen to 50/50 music and movies and power is not an issue. I have plenty of power to send to it..... I am thrilled with my SDX15, so I am considering the CSS 12" model....but I am wondering if there is another good option?

What do I buy?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
For the money.....im still a firm believer in the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12

At $150 shipped it delivers quite alot, i may be biased as i have one in my car, but i modeled it next to my tempest x and it has close responses, especially for just a 12

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
If the goal was to build a cylinder from 18" tube, with a (hopefully temporary) amp of 160W into 4ohms, increasing the available power later to 300-500W, which 12"er do you guys think would be the best performing for the money? The Shiva, CSS SD12, this Peerless or perhaps another:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1735

, or suggestions???

Mostly for HT use, as well as RnR music. I do like the flexibility of the dual vc of the Shiva

Jodean, is the Infinity still available? If so, where for that price?

·
Registered
171 Posts
If any one could produce some distortion figures for these 12" drivers (housed in the type of enclosures they were meant for) this would shed some light on their"value" .At least for me it would.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'll cast another vote for the Shiva-X. After looking at (and modeling) a lot of 12" drivers, it is hard to beat the Shiva in shear bang for the buck. It has a lot of excursion and decent thermal power handling. They get lots of praise on these forums too. Are you planning to go sealed or ported?

I was interested in the comment above about the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12. It looks like a decent sub but not up to the same standard as the Shiva-X. The published specs say it can only handle approximately 1/2 the power of the Shiva-X. It also has a higher Fs and about 1/2 the Xmax of the Shiva-X. Oh and Crutchfield says it is discontinued. *shrug*

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used two older ACI SV-12 subs in my build. I think that they are great, but I don't know if they are made anymore. If you are interested in one give Meniscus Audio a call they told me a few weeks ago they they could still get them. If you do call post and let us know if thay are avaliable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well , its a shame to see a lot of good subs disappear.

Apparently someone is trying to make a buck on the kappa perfect since they were discontinued. I only paid $109 for mine brand new. I paid $185 for my tempest x and i now i see thats gone. And the shiva is now $182.....wow!!!

Well about a year ago the kappa perfect was the best bang for the buck. Now i guess thats changed.

Heres a graph when i modeled my kappa perfect up agianst my tempest in my current enclosure fof 270L

The white line is the kappa, the red is the tempest, blue is the tempest in a gigantic optimum enclosure of i think 350L

Hmm the kappa is rated at 400w rms and 1400max. But i bet the shiva goes past the rated 600 cause my tempest is rated at 600 as well and guys here claim they have put over 1000watts into the tempest with no problems.

Im not real sure about 1000w statements unless they have some sort of low pass cutoff cause ive made my tempest puke with the bash 500w at times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jodean, did you compare actual spl or just the frequency response. Those lines are not showing actual spl with wattage. A shiva-x and especially a tempest-x will walk all over the infinity as long as they are in the right enclosure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its been over a year since i modeled that, but it may have been with only 200w?? Thats what i had originally for an amp.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kappa Perfect was really good sub in the past but Shiva-X literally stomps on Kappa. In sealed with both in optimum boxes Shiva-X can output close to 6dB more bass which is double the sound pressure level.

In vented box Shiva-X outputs 4dB more on average. Tempest-X takes the levels even higher ofc being 15" and all...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have looked at a lot of 12" subs and the Shiva-X is a real value. I hate to ever say anything is "the best" because everybody has slightly different needs and different circumstances but the Shiva-X is a of a lot of sub for the money! It would definitely be on a very short list for me if I was building a sub right now.

Another driver I find interesting is the GR Research SW-12-04. For $150 it seems to be a bargain too. Of course the GR research sub is a servo sub but even using a regular amp, it models very well. The GR research only has 16mm of one-way excursion vs. the 27mm Xmax of the Shiva-X and my guess is it could not handle as much power either but since it is more sensitive, that helps make up for that. Depending on your needs, The GR research could be a contender especially if you do decide to use the servo amp!

Mike

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have looked at a lot of 12" subs and the Shiva-X is a real value. I hate to ever say anything is "the best" because everybody has slightly different needs and different circumstances but the Shiva-X is a of a lot of sub for the money! It would definitely be on a very short list for me if I was building a sub right now.

Another driver I find interesting is the GR Research SW-12-04. For $150 it seems to be a bargain too. Of course the GR research sub is a servo sub but even using a regular amp, it models very well. The GR research only has 16mm of one-way excursion vs. the 27mm Xmax of the Shiva-X and my guess is it could not handle as much power either but since it is more sensitive, that helps make up for that. Depending on your needs, The GR research could be a contender especially if you do decide to use the servo amp!

Mike
What is the servo amp?

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, Rythmik makes the amps and GR Research sells them as well: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=142

Basically, these Servo drivers are specially designed with a feedback coil that tells the Servo amp exactly what the driver is doing. The amp then adjusts the output to the driver to start and stop quicker (more accurately) and deliver a flat frequency response. It is *VERY* cool technology. In order to take advantage of the benefits of servo, both the amp and driver have to have the technology built-in. What I was saying is even without using the built-in servo sensing coil and servo controlled amp, the SW-12-04 is an impressive driver which compares quite well to the Shiva-X in performance and it is cheap. It just doesn't have the power handling and excursion of the Shiva-X so it all depends on what one is looking for.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts