Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a racing fan and recognize a major difference in the experience of being at a race and watching a race on tv is the feeling of those engines thundering. Now I have a dual subwoofer setup including an HSU VTF2 and a custom built 12" at this time, I do not lack tactile bass. However I never get that chest pounding ground rumbling sensation when races are broadcast. Does anybody know if there is anything I can do to gain this sensation.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
That would be up to the audio engineers at the race thats being broadcast. You cant add the low end if its simply not there in the audio feed.
Some people have had success using an Low Frequency Exciter Like this DBX 120a

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe that's the key... Do they not mix in the low frequencies of the engines for some reason? Is it a problem being able to get the right mic's?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It would require a true 5.1 mix so if its only mastered in stereo you loose the ability to have a proper LFE channel. Yes mic placement and mixing is key.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
There is way to much "important" talking going on in the broadcast to have the sounds of the cars in correct proportion to being at the track.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
TV stations use limiters and compressors to reduce the dynamics of the sound and keep everything at the same level..
I know how you feel..I miss that roar that you get at the track..
I have to laugh when the V8 Supercar race commentator says, "turn up your volume and listen to the roar of this car!"..It doesn't sound any better than low volume!! :laugh:

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I remember when the V8 Supercars, here in Oz, were with another station and they started broadcasting in surround. It was awesome.
The guys in pit lane would be talking and the cars could be heard screaming past behind them on the track from the rear speakers.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,334 Posts
I remember when the V8 Supercars, here in Oz, were with another station and they started broadcasting in surround. It was awesome.
I used to love watching those races. They were on in the US for a few years, but for some reason they're no longer being broadcast here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts