Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Sony HDTV, a Sony Playstation 3, and a Sony STR-DG720 A/V receiver. Everything is connected via HDMI cables.

The manual for the Sony STR-DG720 receiver says to set the receiver to Auto Frequency Detect (AFD) mode, and the receiver will automatically recognize which audio format to output. I know this works, because when I watch HD TV through my HD cable receiver, the A/V receiver notifies me that it is decoding Dolby Digital 3.1/5.1/7.1, etc.

I have configured the Sony Playstation 3's audio output to use an HDMI connection and to automatically detect the audio settings.

In this configuration, whenever I have it on the main menu, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a PCM 2 channel 48khz signal from the Playstation 3. I'm guessing that's all the Playstation 3 outputs when there is no game loaded or movie loaded.

When I play games, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a PCM 2 channel 48khz signal from the Playstation 3. However, if I manually set the audio settings to output only Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, PCM 2 channel 44.1khz (note: the Playstation 3 will not let me deselect this option), and PCM 2 channel 48khz (note: the Playstation 3 will not let me deselect this option either), then when I play games, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal from the Playstation 3.

If I reset the audio settings to auto detect, then when I play games, the A/V receiver goes back to receiving only a PCM 2 channel 48 khz signal from the Playstation 3. If I want the full Dobly Digital experience, I have to manually set the audio settings on the Playstation 3.

Now, when I try to watch Blue-ray movies on the Playstation 3, the A/V receiver says it is receiving a PCM 2 channel 48 khz signal from the Playstation 3. The A/V receiver says this regardless if I set the Playstation 3's audio settings manually as mentioned above, or if I let the Playstation 3 automatically detect the audio settings.

Why can I not get a Dolby Digital signal from the Playstation 3 when I watch Blue-ray movies or when I play games?

This is really starting to frustrate me, because I thought the whole point of Blue-ray was, in addition to an amazing picture, an amazing sound experience, as well. I am not getting this, since the Playstation 3 will only output PCM 2 channel 48 khz, it seems.

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
1. You need to select the DD TrueHD (or dtsHD) track from the BluRay disc.
2. You will only see PCM on the receiver because the PS3 cannot Bitstream these codecs but decodes them to PCM.

Kal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kal, thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, I tried what you said, and it still doesn't work. The A/V receiver still says PCM 48, and the sound is still only coming out of two of the speakers.

If I set the Playstation 3 to output bitstream for the BD audio output, then the A/V receiver says it has the full Dolby Digital signal, and it sounds amazing out of all the speakers. The problem is, the picture is all screwed up. The colors are all off.

I'm really stuck here. I've been working on this all day. I'm about to just give up and take everything back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts