Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm to a point of frustration with my self.

I keep going back and forth back and forth...car audio, home audio, car audio, home audio....why can't I just settle on something?

Help me!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
LOL, My personal opinion is stay with the home theater, how much time do you actually spend in your car compared to at home?
I always thought spending a ton of money on car audio was somewhat pointless because the quality of the sound gets lost in all the road noise.
Dont get me wrong I installed a small Rockford Fosgate 8" sub in my minivan just to give it a nicer bottom end but it still has the factory stereo.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Do both, there is nothing wrong with that. I currently have about eight serious hobbies. Although I am considering giving up the boating (time and money). Even if you only spend a few of weeks on each per year. you can still enjoy them all.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Why not just file it all under "music" and then you can start buying guitars, too!

That's what I did...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Men have too many hobbies.

Home Theater ( Home Audio/Video Distribution) and all of the gadgets that go along with it, ie remotes, wires, cables, plus the progression from 2.0, to 2.1, to 5.1, to 7.1 and now I am working on 9.4. Also working on a media server through my Xbox 360.

Automotive - From performance to audio/video in the car. I just bought a Dodge Charger SRT-8 and it is FUN.

Guns and Hunting - Not as big of a hobby, but still takes time and money.

Computing - Requires a new computer very couple of years.

Gaming - Time consuming and has a high wife annoyance factor.

Gadgets - Phones mainly, but I am highly excitable with anything electronic.

Sports - Football, fantasy Football. College Basketball. College Baseball.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just put yourself on a schedule...like a monthly rotation or rotate between purchases. i.e. January you buy for Home, February you buy for car. Or number one purchase is for home, next purchase is for car (could be the same month). atleast that's what I do....my wife hates me for it, but that's the price we pay! :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
+1 on having multiple hobbies. it keeps things interesting. i'll focus heavily on one hobby for a month or two, get bored, focus on another, and repeat.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Summer=motorcycles. From street riding noob to club racing at BIR in three years. By far the most serious hobby of mine. One or two sets of race tires a race weekend, plus how ever many track days I do. Its way more money than I have. Its like crack though.

Fall=start playing with my car as I start to drive it. HID rerto with FX-45 projectors, engine mods (for no good reason), stereo (preamp, diamond 4ch amp bridged to drive a pair of Boston Pro60's, Memphis 1000d driving a pair of Image Dynamics IDQ10s soon to be in fiberglass boxes mounted in the rear deck, fully dynamatted)
Winter=HT (hopefully I dont spend any money on it this year). If I can stick to one or two blurays a month Ill survive.
Guns/shooting, just bought another gun and have already picked out add ons and begun modding it.
Spring=getting the race bike ready for racing in May, getting the street bike ready for a cross country trip Ive been wanting to do for years.
ty
My problem is that Im spoiled. Im 22, so I have nowhere but down to go from here. Just trying to delay real life for as long as I can.

I get by by cheaping out where I can without sacrificing too much. I buy used where I can, do whatever wor involved myself (with some exceptions), etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I realize this is a old thread but I go through moments of jumping through hobbies. HT is to be honest the one I never became bored with because we love watching movies and tv shows every weekend.

If I lived in a area with less light pollution I could really get into astronomy. Its something I'm interested in but not a regular hobby.

I also had a temporary interest in R/C planes. After seeing how quickly you can destroy a plane I decided the hobby wasn't for me. Its also difficult to find a good variety of fields to fly at which can lead to more boredom. I think the cars are as much fun and 100% more practical than planes because of the variety of places you can go.

I may get around to learning to play the drums as thats always something I wanted to do.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know, life is crazy... I used to be a courier so I was in my car alllllllll day....I had a nice competetion quality system at that time.

I'm working on a nice home setup...will eventually turn into a nice theater when ever we buy a house.

I really want to get back into collecting vinyl.

I'd love to put together a nice setup for LP's using a nice turn table, pre, and amp and speakers from the 70's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts