Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in my room last night watching a movie and all of the sudden I had a question. Why not port your IB enclosures? Sounds crazy and impossible, right? But take my room for example.

My HT room is in the basement. Underneath the stairs is basically unusable space (other than storage). Why not make that entire space (measured to 132 cu. ft.) a huge ported enclosure? According to port length calculator software, a 131 cu ft enclosure tuned to 15 hz would require a very short port at "normal" port sizes. In fact, a 12" diameter port would only be 1.56 inches long. Why not use a mammoth subwoofer that can already get crazy deep (like an LMS 5400 18") and tune it to, say, 10Hz? That would need a 12" port at 14.49" or even an 18" port at 39" which would be pretty attainable...

Acoustically, what'd be wrong with such an enclosure?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I pushed for such an idea for a few years. Finally Rodny tried it out, converting his quad driver IB at first to a 2 driver IB vs 2 driver LLT. He preferred the LLT. He then converted the whole thing over to a quad driver LLT and his measurements show a very nice gain in low end capability.

It is a valid idea, it works, and it offers a performance improvement. Why don't more people do it? The extra work of enclosing the backspace is a larger task than some would like to undertake. An IB is very quick and easy.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Ported IB? An oxymoron, no?

Just pickin'! :bigsmile:

Yeah... as Steve has stated, this is tried and proven successful by Rodny.

That is not to say it will work in every situation, but it sure makes sense that it would. It would be nice if the next person who does it will take before and after measurements to see the results and whether it is an improvement or not.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The term is simply contradictory. It is no longer IB. It would be more correct to speak of a converted IB.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
If it is enclosed, then it would not be an IB would it? If it is ported, it would would also no longer be IB, would it? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The idea is not to leave it as an IB and just add a port. The idea is that if you have a ton of space to work with in an adjacent room, enclose a portion of that space so that you are able to use as much volume as you want for an ideal LLT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had friend who converted his coat closet this way. He used 2 Aura 18"s. I don't remember any more about the specifics, but with the Auras he was able to get away with very little power, and still shake the concrete front walk. He could really scare people as they were walking up to the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts