Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that REW is aimed at measuring the sub or one speaker. Why not use a "Y" cable to connect both right and left speakers to the sound card? Wouldn't it be better to measure the frequency response of the whole stereo system in the room? Did I miss that in the instructions somewhere? (my sub is connected to both speaker amplifier outputs)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why not use a "Y" cable to connect both right and left speakers to the sound card?
REW outputs a mono line level signal - you do use a splitter when connecting it to the Left and Right CD inputs of your receiver.

If you click on the "Room EQ Wizard (REW) Information Index" sticky thread at the top, you will then see links, guides, tips, etc. Under "Guides", click on "REW Connection and Cabling Basics".

There should be a connection schematic with the following explanation.
The line-out right channel of the soundcard connects to the receivers (or processors) AUX or CD input. It's a good idea to use a Y-splitter at the receiver to feed both the left and right channels, so both mains speakers may be checked along with the subwoofer.

my sub is connected to both speaker amplifier outputs
I'm assuming your receiver does not have a dedicated sub-out RCA jack and you have the sub connected to the main speaker level outputs. Thats fine. You can lift a wire from each main speaker to isolate the sub and use REW to see how it interacts with the room. Or you can power down the sub and measure the mains response without it. Or you can measure it all together.

Whatever you do, I hope your results are better than mine. Two things I have not successfully accomplished - Growing green grass in the front yard and getting a half way decent bass response. (Other things I haven't done, but those two just rub a bit!)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The obvious is obvious, I just didn't read the basics well enough. I have put RealTraps in every corner so I am hoping to tame the bass by force.

As for grass, the best fertilizer is ammonium nitrate but of course that is now unavailable since Oklahoma City, so when I lived in Arizona I used ammonium sulfate (and a lot of water). Here in Oregon the problem is too much water and too much shade so I let my father-in-law (a soils scientist) do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts