Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it right that you can only use the Radioshack or Galaxy SPL meters with REW?

if this is the case can someone please explain to me why,is it a connection thing or something?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Mark, Welcome to the Shack,

The reason is because a calibration file needs to be made for each and every mic used with REW and as both the Galaxy140 and the Radio Shack are by far the most common SPL meters with a line out these were the only files made other than the ECM8000 (you still need an SPL meter if you use the ECM).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply tony, now i understand........ebay here i come.

Shame as i have a brand new SPL meter but not one that is needed for REW.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You can use any SPL meter with a line output, but the accuracy will be unknown. Not an issue if your aim is to find a good position for your sub, for example, as the response changes between different positions are much larger than any meter inaccuracies at subwoofer frequencies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use any SPL meter with a line output,

Thanks John,

Unfortunately mine doesnt have a line output so i will still have to go to ebay, i know the difference between analogue and digital but which is the preferred and what would i gain from digital except for a more accurate measurement?

I do apologise if it sounds daft!

Mark.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
what would i gain from digital except for a more accurate measurement?
Choose whichever you prefer. There will be no difference when using REW, but you might like one type of display over the other.

If it's analog, be sure to look for the newer model. (see the downloads page to get model numbers)

brucek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts