Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Galaxy 140 meter so that I can use REW but am questioning whether it's really needed. My budget is a little limited (my wife has other priorities) and the price of the meter is almost the same as adding bass traps and first reflection point panels.

Will REW really aid me in treating my room or is it just a good toy to show before and after graphs?

From all that I can see on this forum about room acoustics, the general recommendation is to add super chunks and treat first reflection points regardless of anything. So then other than using a BFD for bass EQ is there a real need to use REW?

I'm not trying to slam REW as it is a very nice piece of coding. I'm just trying to justify its use in my case.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I would also ask the question, without something like REW, how would you best know where to place your bass traps an the like.

I also found REW very educational on the intricacies of sub bass, your system and the room it is in. IMO, there is plenty to be had from using it, and you get a little more from using it than just an optomised system. Plus, how can you question the value of something thats free :T, at worst you waste some of your time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do think it's really neat and look forward to doing a before and after treatments reading to see what effect they have. I could most likely impress quite a few friends too with it. Hopefully my wife paid attention the hundred or so times I hinted that an SPL meter would make the perfect birthday gift.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
As long as you don't care about accurate response below 10Hz since the RS Meter calibration data stops there!
And you really shouldn't rely on a RS meter below 15Hz. The signal is basically into noise at that point.

brucek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts