wich one is a better amp for sound
better set up mic
value
doses the hk 340 upconvert svid to componet

i like alot of deapth to the music warm/ bass

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
IMHO, there probably isn't that much of a difference sonically beween the two. My general rule of thumb is that receivers at the same price point from different major manufacturers will sound pretty much the same. Or close enough that the differences are negligble.

As far as the set up mics go, I think you'd be better off with a rat shack meter and use the test tones to get the speaker levels calibrated correctly.

The only thing I might say is that I've heard and experienced some quality control issues with HK lately. Given that, I'd probably go with the Pioneer.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

JCD

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got a HK 435 about 6 months ago and after a couple of months it started to 'lock' up on me. I don't know any other way to describe it, it like having Windoz lock up on your computer. It wouldn't respond to any input either from the remote or from buttons on the front. I would have to unplug it and 'reboot' it. Finally it just stopped working all together. I e-mailed HK and described the problem about the same way I did above to the guy. HK mailed back the very next day and asked for some more info including where I got the receiver. I thought at that point I was screwed since I got it on line but from a supposedly authorized dealer. He mails back again the next day with info on sending the unit in and he would send me a refurb on receipt of the original unit. So, I UPS'd the thing in, three days later I get an e-mail saying that my 'new' receiver is on the way. It came three days later and so far is working great.
I love the way this thing sounds. I borrowed a Kenwood while mine was in transit and it was terribly flat sounding. I don't know about Pioneer but because of the way HK handled my problem I will definitely buy from them again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the 1016 has continued the ways of the 1014, then I can attest that I am extremely happy with my 1014. It has performed extremely well for the past 2 or so years that I've been using it. I play a lot of music and HT through it and I have loved the sound.

As an fyi, the electronics store here at the Shack has the 1016 listed for $375.

:)

Tex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts