Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've gotten the OK from the wife to move from what was an appropriate sub for my college apartment to something more.. "significant". She's even signed off on minimally invasive holes in walls. CHA-CHING! Man, I'm getting a huge grin just typing that! Below you'll find pics of our living room. I'm a little worried since the living room bleeds straight into the dining room/kitchen area. My rough guess is that the room is 15-20ft wide, 30ft long (including kitchen/dining room), and the slightly vaulted ceiling goes from 8ft-12ft. I've currently got a 10" Paradigm PS1000 sub to the left of the main couch that will be leaving us once I figure out my IB wet dream.

SO, I've already ordered my BFD and EP4000; since they are so universally used I think I'm safe with those purchases. That ran me $450 shipped. I would like to keep the price to <$1000. If that's unrealistic, don't hold that as a hard limit. The Mrs. would flip at that price, but I've saved on my own and she doesn't need to do anything but enjoy the results. I'm looking to do a opposed driver manifold installation (cancel mech vibr) somewhere and I need help deciding on the driver types and number for my room (saw "Tempest-X" suggested elsewhere). Also, I need to pick a location for the IB in the room. I hear you shouldn't put it behind you, that right? The wall where the TV is only has a few inches of space before the wall of the master bedroom, so no mounting there. In the first picture you can see a hallway to the right of the TV. Right above that hallway is a nook area. I can't put a hole in the wall facing the camera as that's where the AC unit is, but what about the right-facing wall area on the left of that nook area? It'd be totally hidden, but would it work being quite a ways from the listening position? The second pic shows a bit better how the living room opens right up into the kitchen.

Do I really need to worry about the cu ft of the whole area or just mount it close to the listeners and simply not get good results while making dinner (who cares anyways)?

Thanks in advance!

Mod comment:

Images added. I'll respond when I get some time :T

·
Registered
704 Posts
IMO the "best" locations for most IB installations is the ceiling, assuming you have an attic above the room. I also suggest considering the Exodus DPL-15 instead of the Tempest-X for an IB installation, although the Tempest should work just fine. As far as considering cubic feet, you do not really need to concern yourself with the area of the listening space when designing your IB, but make sure the area of the IB space is at least 10X the total Vas of the drivers you are using. The actual physical location of the IB can be anywhere in the listening space.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback! Here's two more pics, even though I think you're right about the ceiling mount. Maybe straight above the TV? I do have an attic and it should work just fine. I'll go up to check for clearances.

I'll look at the DPL-15s. Actually, I'll probably just purchase them unless anyone else has a compelling alternative. That is as long as they are within my soft budget. Oh, how many would you do? Would two of them be a weak response to the room and seating location? I'm hoping to only have to buy two drivers for cost concerns.

Do either of these pics open up any other possibilities?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DPL-15's sound perfect from the little I've been reading about them so far, and they're relatively cheap! Two of them shipped would come to $377.

Total bill of materials I've penned in so far:
BFD $100
EP4000 $350
ECM8000 $50
MIC100 $30
cables ?
2xDPL-15 $377
TOTAL $907

Nice.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The DPL-15's sound perfect from the little I've been reading about them so far, and they're relatively cheap! Two of them shipped would come to $377.

Total bill of materials I've penned in so far:
BFD $100
EP4000 $350
ECM8000 $50
MIC100 $30
cables ?
2xDPL-15 $377
TOTAL $907

Nice.
go to monoprice.com for cables.

If you want something more expensive you can look at the Sound Splinter 18" stuff. Though I'm not sure on the stock. The Sound Splinter is an LMS motor which is more linear than the XBL^2 motors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$390 a pop versus $160 is a bit of a hard sell I think. I could buy 4 DPL-15s and still have change left over... Or are they that inferior to the Sound Splinters?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks on the monoprice recommendation; they're cheap and have $6 overnight shipping!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
$390 a pop versus $160 is a bit of a hard sell I think. I could buy 4 DPL-15s and still have change left over... Or are they that inferior to the Sound Splinters?
A comparable driver to the DPL is the CSS SDX15 http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8158-diy-css-sdx15-sealed-100l.html

This is the LMS test http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8155-diy-tc-sounds-lms-5400-18-sealed-100l.html

You can see there is a 7db difference at 20hz and a 3 to 4db difference everywhere else. Furthermore the max of the LMS motor system is much more linear than the XBL^2 motor system

It would take 2 drivers to come close to the LMS and 4 drivers to match it at 20hz.

A single Sound Splinter 18" sub in an IB setup will be better than 2 DPL's according to the measurements done by Illka.

I don't see the LMS 18" in stock at this time. But if interested just give the guy a shout he has a sub forum here.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Wow, thanks on the monoprice recommendation; they're cheap and have $6 overnight shipping!
No they are a great value. Cheap is not the quality I've gotten. Their normal shipping is so fast I wouldn't even worry about overnight shipping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also a ep4000 is way more power than you need for 2 dpl-15s
Well, my current sub has a single 10" driver and has a 450W RMS amp. The EP4000 does 550W to each 8ohm DPL-15 which I figured was "OK". That's without doing bridged mode and jumping from 0.1THD to 1.0THD.

If I were ever to do 4 or more speakers, then I'd slap it into bridged mode and for 4ohms have 2400W, but with more distortion. Sounds pretty flexible to me.

Am I that far off???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No they are a great value. Cheap is not the quality I've gotten. Their normal shipping is so fast I wouldn't even worry about overnight shipping.
Well, surprisingly it was like $0.40 cheaper to do the overnight than standard shipping. It uses some special carrier that only does CA, AZ, NV. I'll be waiting on all the other parts so I just picked the cheapest route.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A comparable driver to the DPL is the CSS SDX15 http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8158-diy-css-sdx15-sealed-100l.html

This is the LMS test http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8155-diy-tc-sounds-lms-5400-18-sealed-100l.html

You can see there is a 7db difference at 20hz and a 3 to 4db difference everywhere else. Furthermore the max of the LMS motor system is much more linear than the XBL^2 motor system

It would take 2 drivers to come close to the LMS and 4 drivers to match it at 20hz.

A single Sound Splinter 18" sub in an IB setup will be better than 2 DPL's according to the measurements done by Illka.

I don't see the LMS 18" in stock at this time. But if interested just give the guy a shout he has a sub forum here.
I understand. If I were starting out with 4 DPL-15's then I'd consider 2 Sound Splinter 18s instead, but since I'm doing 2 DPL's, I'd rather take the mechanical vibration benefits of two drivers opposed to each other than a single 18 moving my wall and doors around. I've only read high high praises on the opposed speaker placement in every respect. Any other thoughts on this? I am definitely new to IB, but what I've read up on has made sense so far.

Thanks again everyone for the comments! I was just thinking about how hard this all would have been to do without forums and the internet. Seriously, how did people survive???

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I understand. If I were starting out with 4 DPL-15's then I'd consider 2 Sound Splinter 18s instead, but since I'm doing 2 DPL's, I'd rather take the mechanical vibration benefits of two drivers opposed to each other than a single 18 moving my wall and doors around. I've only read high high praises on the opposed speaker placement in every respect. Any other thoughts on this? I am definitely new to IB, but what I've read up on has made sense so far.

Thanks again everyone for the comments! I was just thinking about how hard this all would have been to do without forums and the internet. Seriously, how did people survive???
Well let's not kid ourselves given what you have 2 DPL-15's will do insane things. Still either is going to do crazy things. Just realize for some clean bass brings the desire for more and you can't get more than the Sound Splinters in the 20-30hz range. Still the DPL deal is really nice.

I'm not an IB guy and don't plan to be one anytime soon, but I can tell you given the choice between 1 Sound Splinter and 2 DPL's I'd take the Sound Splinter.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well, surprisingly it was like $0.40 cheaper to do the overnight than standard shipping. It uses some special carrier that only does CA, AZ, NV. I'll be waiting on all the other parts so I just picked the cheapest route.
That's cool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well let's not kid ourselves given what you have 2 DPL-15's will do insane things.
That's awesome to hear you say. I kept reading that IB installs just sound much quieter than a boxed sub on the floor so I was worried that two of them mounted up high wouldn't do much. I'm really flying blind, so it's good to hear that given the room you see in the pics, you think insane things are possible with what I've outlined.

I don't doubt for a SECOND that I'll be wanting more, it's human nature. I can see pulling the DPL-15s out, cutting bigger holes and throwing two SS-18s in sometime in the future. I trust your advice and the research that's been done, I'm just starting small so I can savor every bite of this bass journey :D

So, I ordered everything in my list today. I think that was the easy part compared to the manifold build and install. I'm going to need some serious help in that department. Should I make a new topic in some other area, or is in here appropriate to get the right people's help?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
go to monoprice.com for cables.

If you want something more expensive you can look at the Sound Splinter 18" stuff. Though I'm not sure on the stock. The Sound Splinter is an LMS motor which is more linear than the XBL^2 motors.
I just wanted to clarify that SS does not have an 18" LMT based driver. They had the 15" Supreme driver but it is not the same as the TC/AP LMS5400/Ultra and is not in the same league IMO. The RLP's are overhung drivers based on the TC 3HP motor. A very solid driver but completely different and not comparable to the LMS 18".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just wanted to clarify that SS does not have an 18" LMT based driver. They had the 15" Supreme driver but it is not the same as the TC/AP LMS5400/Ultra and is not in the same league IMO. The RLP's are overhung drivers based on the TC 3HP motor. A very solid driver but completely different and not comparable to the LMS 18".
Yeah, modeled them in WinISD and they really didn't look that amazing for IB.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I think that you should spring for 2 more DPL15's or at least make the manifold able to use them in the future if you wanted to. 2 15's is not a whole lot of headroom for an IB.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts