Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on how to convince my wife I am not going overboard and to be 90% supportive of the project. I am planning what I believe to be a reasonable project with a modest room size, home built speakers, and listening to her advice when she didn't want to see any of the speakers. She believes that since I have been reading the forums I have become an audio snob, and I am spending way too much on the speakers. Speakers that I wouldn't be able to discern from cheaper speaker choices. The speakers are estimated to be about ~$2000 in drivers, crossovers, subs, and amps for a 5.1 system. While I admit there are cheaper options, but the quality to price ratio is very good. Have you been in this situation before and if so how did you turn your spouse around so they are more supportive and understanding.

Matt

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wasn't able to convince her of anything until it was finally set up and she got to hear the system. Good luck convincing a woman of anything......

·
Registered
497 Posts
Best way I have seen, used or helped customers to use is to either get some of her favorite music or movies and bring them with to an audition. Obviously with DIY speakers it will be harder but you could take her to an audio shop and play some cheap speakers vs better speakers, especially with movies it quickly becomes apparent on a quality difference. The notebook is a great demo movie for women, the rain scene always seems to evoke plenty of emotions when played back on a good system.

G

·
0 Posts
What speaker project did you have in mind? Do you really want/need high end HT, or did you want it for music?

While I think it is important to go for what you want, not doing anything your wife wants might cause more trouble then its worth.

If she doesn't want to see speakers, maybe you could use these. http://emotiva.com/uaw62.shtm

·
Registered
28 Posts
I NEVER EVER used the works "man cave" always used home theater. I told her what I had planned and let her do the decorations (paint scheme, do dads) she was 100% behind the project after that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If one of us could come up with a fool proof solution for our audio obsession and the wife factor:dontknow:...they would be very wealthy!!!

One wise person older than I suggested that for every dollar spent on audio, you spend $2 on jewelry for her (2 to 1 ratio). Holy smokes!!! I'm dead broke then:spend:

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife and I have an unspoken understanding: she can decorate most of the house as she likes (although we have to compromise on major projects cuz I get stuck with the carpentry, tiling, electrical, etc), but I get to do my own thing with my side of the bedroom (bedroom HT; some car stuff) and the HT room in the basement. I LIKE to see the techie electronics, Def Tech tower speakers, cinema and music artwork, other "manly" stuff. She has her own 47" TV and DD HT in the living room, so it's not like she's being deprived. It's kinda, "Mind you own business...you have your space and I have mine." She DID admit that she liked my new three-head ceiling spotlight fixture I installed last week, however.

We've been married 39 yrs.

Jim

·
Registered
259 Posts
Matt,
Have to say the most effective way to get approval/support would be to have her accompany you on a listening audition. Even though you are planning the DIY thing let her "help" you decide what style the speakers should be like. A metal or fabric tweeter variation perhaps or a large tower or bookshelves? What ever the variance let her have a little say - even if not really, should go further then lots of other ways to bribe her. Get them involved any way possible is you best bet.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Get them involved any way possible is you best bet.
Thats very wise advice, make them feel like part of the decision does matter to them and as others have said take her to a friends house or maybe a member from here who has a theater room and let her hear the difference between a quality setup and an budget one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1 on getting her involved. Also, when you get the praises for your HT down the line, make sure to acknowledge her role.

For now, a good demo to demonstrate what a good system is capable of is a good start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
all of you were talk about the wife's. That me turns to my boyfriend. He is the one who will fall into sleep after he sit for 10min. That so disappoint that I always enjoy my favor alone. But that's ok as he never force me to play computer games with him. So we are enjoy ourselves alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Matt,

Tell her there's another woman down the street who keeps inviting you over to watch movies on her awesome home theater but you told her "NO" because you have a great home theater at your house that you'll be building for you and your wife! Let me know how that goes over! LOL.

Dave Bui

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Most all things in marriage are about negociation, compromise or just understanding. I'm sure she has things she's into. You spend some time and money on your passion and so does she. It's a give and take and hardly ever one sided. You get a home theater, what does she get?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for their help. My wife and I sat down and had a talk, she expressed her concern about the DIY project due to all the time that would be required to make these. After much deliberation we decided to forgo the DIY and purchase a set of inwall speakers that we both were happy with.

L & R Klipsch KL-6502
Center Klipsch KL-6504
Surround Klipsch KS-7800

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's what (a good) marriage is about...consideration, communication and compromise. The three C's.
I'd say that goes for relationships in general, not just marriage.

Mightywetfoot, it's unfortunate that you weren't able to go the DIY route you wanted, but as long as you are both happy with the solution you came up with, then it's all good :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably the best option will be asking question from her. Ask her whether we would be able to use its full potentials or not. If not then there is no point of putting that much money. Convince her that we can use saved money on some other work.
But changing wife's mind is tough task. Good luck :T

·
Registered
919 Posts
I guess I'm lucky with my situation.
Both me and the wife waited til we were older to get married so we were both already good at independant living and supporting ourselves. She makes her money and I make mine. As long as I have enough money to pay my share of the bills, she doesn't care how much I spend and what I spend it on.

She knew I was into big boxy audio/video stuff from the beginning of our relationship and she doesn't try to change that about me. Even though she never complained about big speakers, I made a compromise by going with in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I too am quite lucky to have a partner (soon to be wife) who appreciates the Home Cinema. The cool part about our relationships and HT is she will often ask "So, what are we watching tonight?"

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Our biggest issue is the theater is currently a secondary concern, in our house we really don't the space. Our main hobby is Halloween. I do want to do the DIY option for speakers but it will have to be later when I have time. We want to get the theater up and running by mid May. Oh we did not pay retail for those speakers either. My wife really is more of a video gamer and not so much into movies, so its harder for her to understand the need for theater.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts