Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Elemental 13Av.2 gathering dust in my storage. I planned to make a 4 Cu ported box for it but after reading the LLT Explained thread, I have changed direction. Do you think it will do good in a LLT box about 8 cu tuned to 15Hz? eD site says the max excursion for this is 28.75mm and can take about 1200W. I modeled it using WinIsd and it shows a peak around tuning frequency but a dip near 22Hz. Do you have other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
4.5 cu.ft. tuned to 17 hz works well for this sub. It will take 1200 watts with a subsonic filter applied at 17 hz and reach Xmax at 12 hz. 8 cu.ft. tuned to 15 hz will take 900 watts with a subsonic filter applied at 15 hz and reach Xmax at 12 hz. Model both of these in WinISD and check the SPL graph. You would be gaining 3 db at 15 hz and losing a couple of db above 20 hz in a box almost twice the size.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was a little worried about the port resonance using 4.5Cu tuned to 17Hz, the port length is more than 50", there is a port resonance at about 120Hz. Anyway I have chosen a box size of 5Cu with about 42" long port, tuning is around 18.5 but port resonance is quite good around 160Hz, where response is about 24dB down with crossover set to 80Hz with 4th order crossover of the receiver. Im also planning to buy a DCX2496 and apply a steep 6th order crossover for the sub, and will also do some eq. Do you think Im in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
First port resonance was the topic of a recent disccusion here. Andrew ( "avaserfi" ) did some measurements on his Kappa Perfect 12 VQ - 3.95 cu.ft. tuned to 19.5 hz with a 55 inch port. ( first port resonance 121 hz ) Results show first port resonance is a non issue for HT subs if the resonance frequency is above 120 hz and a 4th order crossover is used at 80 hz. Here is the thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...ported/12042-port-length-recommendations.html

Post #39 shows the results of his testing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts