Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (that is, the wife and I) have been contemplating upsizing the display in our main living room/home theater from a 50" rear projection to something bigger given our seating distance (the display comes from a previous apartment install in which we were around eight or so feet away from the screen; we are now 13 feet from the same screen in our new house) but the problem is, it must be a screen that fits within the limits of the wall unit/entertainment center we have now because it was a rather big investment and we're not getting rid of it.

The wall unit can hold, at maximum, a 58-inch screen (give or take) so my question is...will the eight inches make a visible impact difference between what we see now on the 50-inch? Will the impact for film watching (the majority of what this room is used for) definitely be increased even though it's merely an eight-inch increase in screen size? I've heard both arguments regarding this, and just wanted to hear from some fellow Shacksters and get some of your opinions...

Thanks! :T

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will notice a difference in screen size going from a 50" to a 58". The type of screen will also make a difference, especially if you choose LCD over a rear projection. What is the resolution of your current 50"?
Thank you very much for the reply, Mike. You are making me feel better about this possible upgrade!

My 50" Sony, a rear projection SXRD, is a native 1080p set. Any incoming 1080p signals (like from a BD player) are displayed as-is, while any lower resolutions are automatically upconverted to 1080p (this is what the TV is supposedly doing when fed a 1080i cable signal from our high def cable box)...

Can you give me a bit more detail as to why you feel the jump to this bigger size will be significant? Will the impact of films be greater and a bit more "film-like" at the bigger size? As for the screen type, we would most likely be looking at a plasma or LCD at the 58" size...I happen to love the look of Sony's MotionFlow refresh feature which makes film material look like surreal, floaty video -- you know, the "Soap Opera Look." :T

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The SXRD is probably 4 or 5 years old, all RP TVs loose their brightness with use. A new LCD will have a much better picture. As for screen size, go to a store and compare a 50 to a 58 and see if the difference in screen size is significant enough for you. I have compared them and find a big difference.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
IME the difference in size will be significant.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The SXRD is probably 4 or 5 years old, all RP TVs loose their brightness with use. A new LCD will have a much better picture.
Yes, I understand this; of course, a new bulb would rectify the brightness situation, but we haven't required one yet...

Still, the vividness/brightness issue really isn't the problem with the set; it's the size, which I will address below...

As for screen size, go to a store and compare a 50 to a 58 and see if the difference in screen size is significant enough for you. I have compared them and find a big difference.
Have you compared them in your own viewing environment at home, or in a store? It's hard to judge the differences in a store with a plethora of sets all around you...

But I am more interested in your sentiments regarding the larger screen making a "big difference;" can you give me some more insight here, as I think this is touching on more of what I wanted to know? Did the impact of viewed material just seem more dramatic and tactile? Did the image appear "larger" and more "in your face" and theatrical on the bigger screen?

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IME the difference in size will be significant.
Thank you for your opinion here; in what way do you think the jump in eight inches would be significant? Can you give me some more insight, lcaillo?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is enough bigger to result in a significantly better viewing experience, IME. At that distance 50" is somewhat small, in my opinion.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is enough bigger to result in a significantly better viewing experience, IME.
Should I get a more "immersive" or "cinematic" experience with widescreen films/media?

At that distance 50" is somewhat small, in my opinion.
Indeed; hence the reason we were considering upsizing the display...

It's funny -- depending on the type of film being viewed, or the aspect ratio it's exhibited in, the experience is satisfactory with dim to no lighting on this SXRD screen...for example, if the film is in a 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 ratio, or a full screen transfer, the image fills the screen completely and during bright sequences, the experience is, as I said, satisfactory. If we're watching something in a 2.35: or 2.40:1 ratio with letterboxing, the image looks much more "squished" and dim -- especially during very dark sequences where the image gets so small, in my view, that it's difficult to even make out what's going on during the scene...

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
From going TV shopping several times in the past even with all the other sets around you will see that 8" is significant.:T Have fun TV shopping.:sn:

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From going TV shopping several times in the past even with all the other sets around you will see that 8" is significant.:T Have fun TV shopping.:sn:
Thanks, Bambino!

Do you think that even at 13 feet the eight inch difference will be significant?

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input again regarding your feelings on the jump to a 58" screen -- can you tell me a bit more about why you feel this would be a substantial improvement over the 50?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
My suggestion would be to go take a look at some at the store and the differance between the two will speak for themselves.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My suggestion would be to go take a look at some at the store and the differance between the two will speak for themselves.
Well, in a store it wouldn't be a good comparison (I've tried this already) because of all the walls of sets surrounding you; I need to ascertain if the eight-inch jump will be significant in my own viewing space, as directly compared to the 50...:bigsmile:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I hear what your saying but the only advice i can give has been allready. I remember years ago when i use to look at the Crutchfield catalog they use to have a chart for size and viewing distance not sure if it's still available but worth a shot to check out.
I would say if you are tottally not sure then go real big say 60" or 65" then there will be no question to weather or not you'll notice a differance.:devil: I know when i finish my setup in the back room that is what i'm gonna do, right now i have a 52" and i can tell from it's size that if i move it back there i'll wish i had more being that it is a bigger room.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear what your saying but the only advice i can give has been allready. I remember years ago when i use to look at the Crutchfield catalog they use to have a chart for size and viewing distance not sure if it's still available but worth a shot to check out.
I would say if you are tottally not sure then go real big say 60" or 65" then there will be no question to weather or not you'll notice a differance.:devil: I know when i finish my setup in the back room that is what i'm gonna do, right now i have a 52" and i can tell from it's size that if i move it back there i'll wish i had more being that it is a bigger room.
Bambino, if you would have read my original post carefully, you would have seen where I mentioned that the wall unit we are placing the new TV in cannot accommodate anything beyond a 58" and we cannot do the home theater in any other room, nor can we re-arrange the room; the screen must be a 58 inch...

So, the suggestion of going "even bigger" is not suitable in this particular case.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Bambino, if you would have read my original post carefully, you would have seen where I mentioned that the wall unit we are placing the new TV in cannot accommodate anything beyond a 58" and we cannot do the home theater in any other room, nor can we re-arrange the room; the screen must be a 58 inch...

So, the suggestion of going "even bigger" is not suitable in this particular case.
I did read your origional post.
On that note, your best to bring a measureing tape with you while shopping because all TV's regardless of size very in outer diameter.
Good day, Bambino.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did read your origional post.
Then why the suggestion of going even bigger in this particular room?

On that note, your best to bring a measureing tape with you while shopping because all TV's regardless of size very in outer diameter.
Indeed; this I am aware of -- seems the outer trim bezels make all the difference. I will be taking more measurements of the space we have to work with and bringing those to the stores...

Good day, Bambino.
To you, as well. :T

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for your input again regarding your feelings on the jump to a 58" screen -- can you tell me a bit more about why you feel this would be a substantial improvement over the 50?
It would be substantial because a 58" display is 35% larger than a 50" display. That's significant.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts