Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It would be substantial because a 58" display is 35% larger than a 50" display. That's significant.
Thank you very much for your sentiments and input here, spartan; I appreciate it.

You're making me feel better about the possible purchase!

In your opinion, do you believe that beyond the percentage factor, the impact of film will be a bit greater on the 58" as opposed to the 50?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Its all about immersion, if you can fit a larger screen absolutely go with it especially for movies, only time not to go larger is budget or if the unit would be so large as to cause neck/eye strain from having to look back and forth to see the entire screen.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Its all about immersion, if you can fit a larger screen absolutely go with it especially for movies, only time not to go larger is budget or if the unit would be so large as to cause neck/eye strain from having to look back and forth to see the entire screen.
Thanks for your input, holmes.

I am totally in the camp which believes any amount of bigger is better -- the situation is this, though: We definitely can't fit anything larger (even by one inch if my judgement is correct) than a 58" screen in this space -- but will this make us feel more "immersed" as you put it as compared to the 50" it would be replacing? At least somewhat?

We definitely wouldn't be struggling with the neck/eye strain as you mention (and which I understand) because the screen would never be that big that we would have to do that.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes I do think it will be worth the upgrade, as was stated earlier that is a 35% increase in viewing area. It is all about getting a higher Field of View aka FOV, depending on which group you want to adhere to you should have a FOV of between 40%-60%.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes I do think it will be worth the upgrade, as was stated earlier that is a 35% increase in viewing area. It is all about getting a higher Field of View aka FOV, depending on which group you want to adhere to you should have a FOV of between 40%-60%.
I didn't mean to disregard the previous suggestion regarding the viewing area percentage -- I was just interested in your thoughts in a more detailed sense; I apologize for that.

Can you explain to me a bit more about this "FOV" and how it relates to the distance one sits from the screen?

BTW -- I didn't know there was a Beverly Hills, Florida! Where exactly is that in the state?

·
Registered
497 Posts
No need for any apologies, was just trying to give credit to the earlier poster who was correct.

FOV basically means if looking straight forward how much of your vision is filled by the screen. What's the best percentage is different depending on who you ask, THX recommends 40%, SMPTE used to recommend 30% for SD and 45-60% for HD but I believe they are changing this again. This again relates to the eye/neck strain I commented on earlier, which unless you were sitting <4-5ft from a 58" won't be a factor as you said.

Beverly Hills, FL is on the gulf coast of central florida and basically heavens waiting room, it is in citrus county and half way between Tampa and Gainesville.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'd suggest taking a look at a panny plasma at 58" if they are still making them. The difference it big, but I'm not sure I'd pay the cash to make the change. I'm the guy who normally lets stuff break before replacing it though.

I will say if you ever want a truly big picture there is nothing like a projector. They can be royal pains, but size really does matter most to most folks I've talked too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Definitely recommend projectors when it can work, you could always use a drop down screen in front of the cabinet and have it drop down when you really want to have full immersion though it does take a little more work to keep both the current unit and add the projector.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No need for any apologies, was just trying to give credit to the earlier poster who was correct.
Oh, okay; I was just apologizing because I didn't want you to think that I was disregarding the suggestion given by that member...hence, the response to your "as has already been stated" sentiment...just didn't want you to think the piece of advice was being disregarded.

Thank you for the understanding here.

FOV basically means if looking straight forward how much of your vision is filled by the screen. What's the best percentage is different depending on who you ask, THX recommends 40%, SMPTE used to recommend 30% for SD and 45-60% for HD but I believe they are changing this again. This again relates to the eye/neck strain I commented on earlier, which unless you were sitting <4-5ft from a 58" won't be a factor as you said.
No, this would definitely not be a factor (the neck/eye strain)!

Beverly Hills, FL is on the gulf coast of central florida and basically heavens waiting room, it is in citrus county and half way between Tampa and Gainesville.
LOL -- what do you mean heaven's waiting room...the old folks?

Are you a Buccaneers fan?

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'd suggest taking a look at a panny plasma at 58" if they are still making them. The difference it big, but I'm not sure I'd pay the cash to make the change. I'm the guy who normally lets stuff break before replacing it though.
I am definitely considering the Panny 58" Plasma, and although I really want an LCD for the 240Hz-plus refresh features (for that "soap opera" video look from film -- just a personal preference), I don't believe there are any 58-inch LCDs on the market (I could be way off here though).

I understand what you're saying, totally, about not changing or fixing something until it's broke, and we have definitely taken this into consideration with this SXRD, as we're STILL on the FIRST bulb for this rear projection set, and there appears to be no signs of dimming or weakness...there is truly NOTHING wrong with the set, and it even has all its original "FULL HD" and EnergyStar stickers on the front! The thing is, I would like to get as big a display as I can into the wall unit cabinet, based on our increased seating distance in this new house, and that seems to be around a 58...

I will say if you ever want a truly big picture there is nothing like a projector. They can be royal pains, but size really does matter most to most folks I've talked too.
Believe me, I really want a projector -- but the way in which we would have to have it installed, and the way I would want it, we simply could not afford it in the least bit, and I am going to get into this next in response to the member who suggested this...

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Definitely recommend projectors when it can work, you could always use a drop down screen in front of the cabinet and have it drop down when you really want to have full immersion though it does take a little more work to keep both the current unit and add the projector.
You know something, holmes? This is the route we wanted to take with the room -- well, the angle I wanted to take at least...that is, dropping a screen in front of the wall unit for film watching. The thing is, I would want this to all be automated and powered so it really didn't interfere with everyday room asthetics and such, and THAT adds up, big time...

In other words, what I was thinking was, have a screen installed into a custom made soffit in the ceiling above the wall unit cabinet...then, have a projector mounted on the other end of the room which would drop down (motorized) just when the screen drops...but then, there is the work of the motorization and the cabling which would have to do into the ceiling to run to the equipment in the wall unit...

This puts it out of budget for us...but what a thought! :bigsmile:

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Try going to Bestbuy or something similar, find a 58", stand 13 feet away, and see if you think the difference is worth it.
The thing is, I've tried this before, and with all the sets in the store going at the same time around you, it's hard to judge -- in a store, a 50-inch or so screen doesn't seem to look at all as big as it may be when you get it home or in a different room, and I've experienced this multiple times.

·
Registered
919 Posts
View your current tv from 8 feet and then view it from 13 feet. At 13 feet, is the picture size adequate for you, or would you want a bigger picture?
After getting used to watching a 50" screen at 8 feet, you probably won't want to go to a smaller FOV when viewed from 13 feet. Obviously the bigger 58" screen will be better (I would get a plasma unless your viewing room will be very bright). Is it worth spending more money? Only you can decide that.
I would get the bigger screen if money permitted.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you very much for your sentiments and input here, spartan; I appreciate it.

You're making me feel better about the possible purchase!

In your opinion, do you believe that beyond the percentage factor, the impact of film will be a bit greater on the 58" as opposed to the 50?
Yes, the impact will be greater.

Here's another way to look at it:

If you get the 58", you'll never say to yourself "should have stuck with the 50 inch". If you don't get the 58", you'll constantly be saying "I should have got the 58 inch".

So, just do it.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Yes, it is hard to get any immersive effect at 156 in. from a 50 in. display. I'm afraid you won't become immersed with a 58 inch display either. Not to say it won't improve your viewing, since it is 35% more viewing area. It's just to say that to get back to what you were experiencing at 8 feet viewing distance requires a rather large screen, 81 inches to be exact.

When TV shopping, be careful about the contrast ratio of your set. SXRD was uncommonly good at native contrast, even rear projection, so you may not be happy with some of the LCD sets, which show a lot a muddy blacks by comparison. Contrast ratio cannot be viewed in a TV store, since the pictures are calibrated for strong, bright, green pictures in a fully lit room.

You may want to do some homework on this, and be sure to consider plasma too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You know something, holmes? This is the route we wanted to take with the room -- well, the angle I wanted to take at least...that is, dropping a screen in front of the wall unit for film watching. The thing is, I would want this to all be automated and powered so it really didn't interfere with everyday room asthetics and such, and THAT adds up, big time...

In other words, what I was thinking was, have a screen installed into a custom made soffit in the ceiling above the wall unit cabinet...then, have a projector mounted on the other end of the room which would drop down (motorized) just when the screen drops...but then, there is the work of the motorization and the cabling which would have to do into the ceiling to run to the equipment in the wall unit...

This puts it out of budget for us...but what a thought! :bigsmile:
I've installed a few media rooms like this and you are right it does add very quickly...:yikes:

That said, if you could custom build a soffit to hide the projector with a port hole for the projector it would greatly reduce the cost of such a system. Projector lifts are ridiculously expensive until you factor in the cost of the equipment they are lowering/lifting, and the liability the manufacturer has if something goes wrong.

Motorized screens have dropped in cost as more manufacturers get into the game for the home market, but still the cost of a good motorized and possibly acoustically transparent screen is probably the same as a 58" TV.

We all have to make compromises due to budget, WAF and other things, finding what works for you and makes you happy is the key.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh and yes citrus county is a haven for the retiree, and I do like to watch the bucs when they aren't blacked out but I haven't been to game in over 12 years now.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
View your current tv from 8 feet and then view it from 13 feet. At 13 feet, is the picture size adequate for you, or would you want a bigger picture?
After getting used to watching a 50" screen at 8 feet, you probably won't want to go to a smaller FOV when viewed from 13 feet. Obviously the bigger 58" screen will be better (I would get a plasma unless your viewing room will be very bright). Is it worth spending more money? Only you can decide that.
I would get the bigger screen if money permitted.
Thanks for your opinions. I know what I see when we sit, currently, at 13 feet away from the 50", and it seems like it could use more screen...

Is this what you were suggesting?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts