Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes, the impact will be greater.

Here's another way to look at it:

If you get the 58", you'll never say to yourself "should have stuck with the 50 inch". If you don't get the 58", you'll constantly be saying "I should have got the 58 inch".

So, just do it.
LOL; I understand what you're saying here...but before I "just do it" I need to make sure we can really afford it, so that's why I'm asking opinions regarding the impact differences.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yes, it is hard to get any immersive effect at 156 in. from a 50 in. display. I'm afraid you won't become immersed with a 58 inch display either. Not to say it won't improve your viewing, since it is 35% more viewing area. It's just to say that to get back to what you were experiencing at 8 feet viewing distance requires a rather large screen, 81 inches to be exact.
Oh, well, it's not that we need to become "as immersed" as we were with the previous seating distance and this current screen -- just something a bit moreso than we're at now with the 50 in this larger room we're in.

But to be fair, I mean, we simply cannot fit nor afford (even if they were available) an 81-inch TV (taking projection screens out of the equation) and so herein lies the dilemma and core of this thread: If a 58" display -- the largest that will fit in the alocated area we have -- isn't going to immerse us in a satisfying experience during cinematic indulgences, what's the solution? Does it even make sense to go up to a 58" then?

When TV shopping, be careful about the contrast ratio of your set. SXRD was uncommonly good at native contrast, even rear projection, so you may not be happy with some of the LCD sets, which show a lot a muddy blacks by comparison. Contrast ratio cannot be viewed in a TV store, since the pictures are calibrated for strong, bright, green pictures in a fully lit room.

You may want to do some homework on this, and be sure to consider plasma too.
I understand what you're saying; indeed, the blacks on my SXRD are superb. The blacks on LCDs haven't been improved upon much? I indeed plan on doing a ton of homework here...would you consider a Plasma over an LCD? I'm asking because I happen to like those "refresh" features on the LCDs which, as a side effect, make film based sources look like superimposed video...

Plasma has no such features, correct, because of their frame interpolation solutions?

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I've installed a few media rooms like this and you are right it does add very quickly...:yikes:
Indeed...:spend: :unbelievable:

That said, if you could custom build a soffit to hide the projector with a port hole for the projector it would greatly reduce the cost of such a system. Projector lifts are ridiculously expensive until you factor in the cost of the equipment they are lowering/lifting, and the liability the manufacturer has if something goes wrong.

Motorized screens have dropped in cost as more manufacturers get into the game for the home market, but still the cost of a good motorized and possibly acoustically transparent screen is probably the same as a 58" TV.
Well, I couldn't personally custom build this, but with regard to the price of the screen vs. a TV -- would a screen and the motorization equipment really come out to the price of a 58" TV? If so, that wouldn't include the labor work for doing the screen, right? And then we would have to factor in the projector price?

We all have to make compromises due to budget, WAF and other things, finding what works for you and makes you happy is the key.
Indeed; I'm trying to discern that now...

Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Oh and yes citrus county is a haven for the retiree, and I do like to watch the bucs when they aren't blacked out but I haven't been to game in over 12 years now.
Cool.

I was a big Bucs fan back when they had their original uniforms with Bucco Bruce on the helmet and they wore the red and orange -- remember Testaverde and what was his name...Salmon?

And I'm not even from Florida!

I was actually a Patriots fan too, of the old team with the old uniforms...:T

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Sit 11.2 feet away from your 50" tv. This is what a 58" will look like from 13'. If you like what you see, buy it. If you don't, stick with what you have or go bigger.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'll try this out when I can.

How did you come to that formula?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I know what I see when we sit, currently, at 13 feet away from the 50"...
Is this what you were suggesting?
Yes. I didn't realize you had already made the jump to the 13' seating distance.
We have a 12' seating distance with a 53" display. 8yrs ago I had the choice between the 53" or the 57" display. Although the 53" has been very adequate I have often wondered what it would have been like with the 57".
I do know that if my seating were to change, I wouldn't be satisfied with a smaller FOV, especially since I have very big sound in my room.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Indeed...:spend: :unbelievable:

Well, I couldn't personally custom build this, but with regard to the price of the screen vs. a TV -- would a screen and the motorization equipment really come out to the price of a 58" TV? If so, that wouldn't include the labor work for doing the screen, right? And then we would have to factor in the projector price?

Indeed; I'm trying to discern that now...

Thanks for your input.
If the motorized screen needs to be acoustically transparent yes it can easily be the cost of a 58" LCD/Plasma for just the motorized screen. If it doesn't need to be A/T then no it would be anywhere from 1/3 the cost to over the cost depending on which manufacturer and screen material used.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yes. I didn't realize you had already made the jump to the 13' seating distance.
Yes, we made this jump when we moved into this new house; see, the situation is, we bought the 50" SXRD when we had our last place which was an apartment, and the seating distance was closer. We moved with the same display into a new house, and the seating distance became 13 feet in the new room.

We have a 12' seating distance with a 53" display. 8yrs ago I had the choice between the 53" or the 57" display. Although the 53" has been very adequate I have often wondered what it would have been like with the 57".
I do know that if my seating were to change, I wouldn't be satisfied with a smaller FOV, especially since I have very big sound in my room.
How do you like your 53? Is this your primary theater viewing screen?

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
If the motorized screen needs to be acoustically transparent yes it can easily be the cost of a 58" LCD/Plasma for just the motorized screen. If it doesn't need to be A/T then no it would be anywhere from 1/3 the cost to over the cost depending on which manufacturer and screen material used.
Good information here...I didn't even take into consideration if the screen needed to be acoustically transparent or not! I think it would probably need to be, being that it would cover at least the center channel...not sure about the left and right mains...

Perhaps going with a projection screen isn't the way to go for this room after all; I suppose I'll have to keep dreaming, and stick with the plan of looking into a 58-inch TV...:crying::hissyfit:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Believe me, I really want a projector -- but the way in which we would have to have it installed, and the way I would want it, we simply could not afford it in the least bit, and I am going to get into this next in response to the member who suggested this...
Just an FYI you only need a white wall(it can be textured and still look fine) and a rear shelf to use a projector. A screen can be a nice thing, but it's totally unnecessary in my experience. The biggest challenge with projectors is having to rearrange the furniture and put everything in the back. Nothing wrong with a TV though. If you like sports, I think LCDs are overly bright for them.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
...I understand what you're saying; indeed, the blacks on my SXRD are superb. The blacks on LCDs haven't been improved upon much? I indeed plan on doing a ton of homework here...would you consider a Plasma over an LCD? I'm asking because I happen to like those "refresh" features on the LCDs which, as a side effect, make film based sources look like superimposed video...

Plasma has no such features, correct, because of their frame interpolation solutions?
Oh yes, "I" would consider a plasma over an LCD! I use an LCD front projector in my HT, and consider the contrast ratio to be its greatest limitation. The SXRD and LCOS PJ have the best contrast ratios in the industry, although LCD has come a long way.

Whether you should get a plasma or LCD is your decision. Plasmas have high power consumption, and I don't know if they will overheat in your entertainment center. Plasmas can have problems with ambient light that LCDs can overpower with screen brightness and anti-glare coatings. Plasmas have the best colors and contrast of all the big screen sets, excluding CRTs. Frame interpolation is not a priority to me, it's a gimmick, and it can look pretty bad.

·
Registered
919 Posts
How do you like your 53? Is this your primary theater viewing screen?
My Pioneer CRT RPTV has a great picture. The CRT RPTV's are a bugger to set up but it's worth it to me. The 53" screen size is decent, bigger would be better, but this is adequate for now.
All my ignorant friends bug me about when am I going to dump the old set and get a great new digital display. I tell them mine is staying put 'til a better screen comes along. If I had to replace it, I would look for a Pioneer Kuro Plasma.
I don't have a separate screening room, just a great room. You can see it here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-room-photos/31173-glenns-living-room.html

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Just an FYI you only need a white wall(it can be textured and still look fine) and a rear shelf to use a projector. A screen can be a nice thing, but it's totally unnecessary in my experience. The biggest challenge with projectors is having to rearrange the furniture and put everything in the back. Nothing wrong with a TV though. If you like sports, I think LCDs are overly bright for them.
Well, the way our room is arranged, the only place this screen could go for a front-projection setup would be right in front of the large entertainment cabinet/wall unit along the main wall; so, the idea of throwing the image onto a white wall without a screen can't work here. Plus, I'd be more comfortable putting an image on a screen instead of a wall anyway; if I'd do it, I'd do it right.

This will be used for mainly film watching, not much broadcast stuff at all (whatever the wife watches, and that's it).

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Oh yes, "I" would consider a plasma over an LCD! I use an LCD front projector in my HT, and consider the contrast ratio to be its greatest limitation. The SXRD and LCOS PJ have the best contrast ratios in the industry, although LCD has come a long way.
Thanks.

Whether you should get a plasma or LCD is your decision. Plasmas have high power consumption, and I don't know if they will overheat in your entertainment center. Plasmas can have problems with ambient light that LCDs can overpower with screen brightness and anti-glare coatings. Plasmas have the best colors and contrast of all the big screen sets, excluding CRTs. Frame interpolation is not a priority to me, it's a gimmick, and it can look pretty bad.
Thanks for your input here. Indeed, it seems most are put off by the interpolation, and I totally get that -- I just happen to love that floaty, surreal "soap opera" look the feature gives film based material...

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
My Pioneer CRT RPTV has a great picture. The CRT RPTV's are a bugger to set up but it's worth it to me. The 53" screen size is decent, bigger would be better, but this is adequate for now.
All my ignorant friends bug me about when am I going to dump the old set and get a great new digital display. I tell them mine is staying put 'til a better screen comes along. If I had to replace it, I would look for a Pioneer Kuro Plasma.
I don't have a separate screening room, just a great room. You can see it here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-room-photos/31173-glenns-living-room.html
Thanks for the link!

What model Onkyo is that in the right rack?

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Onkyo TX-SR706
It works very well for me.
Nice; I always kicked myself for not stepping up to the 700 series when I got my 605, for its THX certification and preamp outs...

You don't run any external amps on it? Just rely on the receiver's power? How do you feel it's powered -- plenty, could use some more, etc?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts