Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

just join the forum and was directed to this section to submit my plans for your comments.

So far I have decided to go with a JVC HD550 projector(if game I might upgrade to at 950),Integra 80.1 receiver ,Mk3 lens( maybe MK4) and CAVX 7.1 custom speaker system with two subs.Room will be three level 2.85 * 4.3 * 9.0 metres . I also thinking on going to a 150inch scope screen but now thinking big is better so should I go bigger screen (160.)and be able to get a better system or am I stetching it with the setup I have listed?

Thanks

Zapper

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Zapper, Do you know what speakers CAVX plans to use? I have this feeling that they will be installing over priced speakers that I bet we can recommend better. Are these going to be inwalls?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zapper, Do you know what speakers CAVX plans to use? I have this feeling that they will be installing over priced speakers that I bet we can recommend better. Are these going to be inwalls?
The speakers are as follows 3 x LCRS, 2 x subs, 2 side surrounds - dipoles, 2 rear surrounds and yes the 3 LCRS are going to be inwall behind the screen. I am also thinking at putting the subs in wall too. So then when you are looking at the screen thats all you will see. I am in contruction phase so I looking at putting the screen wall forward to house the speakers in.

Zapper

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'm having trouble finding any information on the speakers, do you have a website or other link with information. We tend to try to steer people away from inwall speakers due the the quality and cost associated with them. I am assuming the screen will be acoustically transparent (AT)
Your choice of receiver is fantastic, the integra is a supper receiver for the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having trouble finding any information on the speakers, do you have a website or other link with information. We tend to try to steer people away from inwall speakers due the the quality and cost associated with them. I am assuming the screen will be acoustically transparent (AT)
Your choice of receiver is fantastic, the integra is a supper receiver for the money.
Yes the screen will be AT and the site is listed below

http://cavx.blogspot.com/2006/09/marks-home-theatre-projects-cavx.html

I have been in contact with Mark and he knows his stuff but it will be foolish of me if I don't see what else is out there before I decide which way to go but i must say the setup I have listed I am very happy about but because I am new to all this I would like to know what others think about the setup.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Well like I said the Integra is a great choice, The JVC looks good but have a look at the Panasonic AE4000 projector, its getting rave reviews and at a great price.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I am in contruction phase so I looking at putting the screen wall forward to house the speakers in.
Zapper...If you're making a screen wall, why would you be having in-wall speakers.? Unless by in-wall you mean that they will be behind the screen wall!
Unless Mark has made some new speakers, the ones I'm aware of are not designed to be placed in-wall..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zapper...If you're making a screen wall, why would you be having in-wall speakers.? Unless by in-wall you mean that they will be behind the screen wall!
Unless Mark has made some new speakers, the ones I'm aware of are not designed to be placed in-wall..
I almost got confused there, I should read back what I write sorry.
Yes I will make another wall and use the cavity to house the speakers. It will reduce my overall lenght to about 8.5mts .
I will double check with Mark about the speakers .:doh:

Zapper

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So, this is mostly a re-hash of the opinions that you've already gotten, but I'm also not a big proponent of in-wall speakers. You usually have to spend more to get the same sonic quality -- and they're "stuck" where you install them so if you later want to re-arrange things, you're stuck.

Also, I'd consider direct firing speakers for your surrounds. I think in today's dolby digital world, the direct firing speaker makes more sense than the more diffuse sound of a di-pole (chich made more sense in the dolby pro logic days). They're also cheaper (less drivers), so that appeals to my che.. err.. frugal nature.

I'd see if you can have a listen to someone elses install with those speakers then have a listen to some similarly priced stand alone speakers to see which ones you might prefer. See which one you like overall.

But in the end, this is just my opinion -- one that isn't informed as I haven't heard the speakers you're looking at. They may very well be awesome speakers. They may also be speakers that you love and I hate. Or vice versa. You need to find out if they're the speakers for you.

GOod luck and enjoy the process and end result!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I wanted to go inwall speakers is so that they are hidden behind the screen , I wasn't planning of doing the same with the surrounds speakers.

Further thoughts I have is as follows

What I am thinking of doing now is because I am building a single storey home and roof access is not a problem ,I will leave the position of the surround speakers until I have the system up and running and then move the speakers in various positions until I have the idea setup for my room .

With the surrounds, THX do recommend direct fired speakers ...thanks JCD I will now look at other speakers and do a comparsion for the same money. Only problem now is the back speakers locations on the THX website have them position on the back wall...bang where I have my in wall cabinet to house my DVD collection and control gear. I can place them on an angle at the back corners but I don't know if this will be effective hence my thinking of leaving them till I am ready to test the system.

Question on the centre speaker, Is it best to have this the same size as the Front Left and FrontRight?

With the size room how many subs would you recommended I have earmarked for two?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The rear 6th and 7th channels should be no farther apart than about 4ft in the corners will not be ideal but we all make compromises to make things work.
Ideally the centre channel should be matching to the mains but again sometimes this can not be accomplished due to space etc.
With the speakers hidden behind the screen anyhow there may be no need to have DIY speakers to "fit" but that really depends on the cost difference between them and a standard good quality tower speaker.
Two subs is fine however some people have gone with 4 (one in each corner) I would go with two for now and add another two later if you really think you need it. Just pre wire for them just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The thing that worries me more is how many fl you'll have. 150" is a BIG screen to light up and with an AT screen (I assume you're using the OZTS which is a 1.13 gain) so you're going to have to run it at full power from the get go. Also, that doesn't take into account the bulb dimming. If you use a basic calculator (projetor centrals for example) you're going to be getting 11fl when putting out 1000 lumens at mid zoom. You could go to min zoom but then you're not getting those inky blacks the JVC's do. So after bulb dimming, you'll have a very dim picture. Sometimes people forget that if you don't have a bright enough picture, those awesome contrast ratios don't mean anything as the picture is too dim to see them.

Don't get me wrong, i'd LOVE a massive screen! Your room has the size to support it, just be aware that there are trade offs. Sometimes moving the seating forward a bit and getting a slightly smaller screen can still give you that WOW factor without having to sacrafice too much brightness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the sounds of the replies I should rethink my setup. I will have a look at a few stores before I decide on the final setup. Does anyone have recommendations on outlets in Melb for me to have a look at?

Thanks

Zapper

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went looking for a comparsion setup and waiting for the final quote to come through ...
basically setup is the same with different speakers (Kris or Vaf )also tripoles surrounds and direct fired for the rears and the reciever instead of the Integra 80.1 it will be a Integra 40.1 and buying an amp to drive the LCRS and using the reciever for the surrounds. Also recommended going for biwiring the fronts and using $45 a metre speaker cable for the fronts. Thanks to this site I know that I will pass on the $45 cable and biwiring as far as I can tell is not critical for a great sound. Should have a price in about two days.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thanks to this site I know that I will pass on the $45 cable and biwiring as far as I can tell is not critical for a great sound. Should have a price in about two days.
Glad you made that choice! normal 14awg speaker wire from home depot will do the job just fine. BiWire only really makes a difference if you have the proper external EQs and stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok ,have a price now on a setup and its not too bad..... Only thing, the surrounds are Aaron HSS600 , if I want tripolar I've been quoted on Wharfedale OPUS2-TRI SURROUND. Any recomendations of surround speakers and do thay need to be the same make as the fronts? I have also been given the option of upgrading from a HD550 to a HD950 for an extra $1800AUD ,will that be worth doing of better to stay as is?

Thanks

Zapper

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My first choices also, only the other way around!
I also use some Krix drivers in my tripole surrounds..

Prof would you go for the Vaf over the Krix(Krix Neuphonix Floorstanding Loudspeakers,Krix Epicentrix Centre Channel and Krix Equinox Bookshelf Rear Speakers) , I did have trouble picking between the two hence the option. Vaf are $500 cheaper DXC, DXCXX & DC3s .

Zapper

1 - 20 of 40 Posts