Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am often here at this site reading all of your fantastic advice, but until now I have never created a post. I am in need of some advice and your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am debating over whether to purchase another new SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer or to buy a used Wyred 4 Sound MC-7 Amplifier (3 X500W, 4X250W).

Which will make the biggest sonic improvement to my system?

Currently I am using a Sony DA3000ES for my receiver in a 7.1 configuration with my two front speakers biamped using the zone 2 output. My 2 front speakers are version 2 (Beryllium Tweeter) Paradigm Signature S8 with the Signature C5 centre channel. My side surrounds are Paradigm Monitor 9v3 and my rear surrounds are Paradigm Monitor 3v3. I use an OPPO BD-83 as my universal player. I use the system for 80% movies and 20% music. It’s a large room where my listening area opens up to the right to a card playing seating area and a bar area.

If I get the new SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer I would daisy chain it to my other SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer. If I get the Wyred 4 Sound MC-7 Amplifier (3 X500W, 4X250W), I would still have to use my Sony DA3000ES as the brains of the system and hook up the new amp to the preouts.

Eventually my dream is to get a new 9.2 processor (can’t decide on one yet) and two Wyred 4 Sound MC-7 Amplifier (3 X500W, 4X250W) and biamp all three front speaker, hook up some Height Channel speakers and then use the two extra channel speakers for a zone 2 application.

Sorry for such a long post, but I am trying to give you enough information so you can offer some of your expert advice. Thank you.

-Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: My First Post: Asking for your Advice

Paul,

I had the same Sony in my system for a long time and it was a good unit. I ran 2 SVS plus series tubes with a pro amp in a large room and the sound was full.

I have since gone with separate processor/power amp set up and I must say that there has been a huge change in sound due to the improved steering of sound in the newer processor.

So my input would be to stick with the sub you have and get newer technology processing.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Thanks for your input Ryan, I appreciate your help. The only thing is, if I do get a new 9.2 separate processor, it won't do me any good until I also get a separate amplifier to go with it. (I don't want a receiver again, I want to move into separates.---I would LOVE to get a new processor and a new amplifier.) And right now, getting an amp and a processor at the same time is just not in the budget. So financially, it really just comes down to getting either the amp or the sub.

I would really appreciate some more input on my question. I'm just asking for your thoughts, ideas or opinions. Cheers!

·
Registered
54 Posts

Could you use the amps in the Sony with a new processor and limp through with just a 7.1 setup till you could pull the trigger on an amp?

I can't seem to get my head around a 9.2 setup. I just don't see how all the extra gear needed is worth it.
That being said, I have never heard one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have to admit, I am a bit of a newbie at this and getting a new separate processor and amplifier would be my first entry into separates. I didn't even know you could do that? I am not sure how you get a new processor and hook it up to the amplifier section of my old sony receiver and get it all to work. (If you could tell me how to do that, I would be grateful. If it would take too long, then I'll just ask someone at my local A/V store.)

I haven't heard a 9.2 system either, but when I went from 5.1 to 7.1, I was very impressed. So, I figure going from 7.1 to (7.2 and then to) 9.2 would be equally impressive. I hope!

·
Registered
497 Posts

Does your receiver have a multi-ch input? And a direct mode? You could try that, not guaranteed it will work properly as you will have 2 separate volume controls. But if the answer to those questions are yes you could theoretically use the pre-amp outputs of the processor, run it into the 7.1 analog inputs and then that should use the amps of the sony. If you were to do this I would set the sony at fixed volume, just below the clipping point and then use the volume control on the processor.

Again not guaranteeing that it will work or sound great but it could be an option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes, my receiver does have a multi-channel in but I use it with my Oppo-bd83 for SACD playback. And it does have a direct mode. I am not willing to take the chance of buying a new separate processor and then find out it doesn't really work. Then have it sit around until I can afford to get a separate amplifier for the whole system to mesh. I am still thinking between the new amplifier and the new subwoofer. (Unless, you guys are hinting at these other ways because I am on the wrong track... and I don't know it.) I really do appreciate the input as I am still a beginner at this and your ideas are all totally new to me. I am still learning.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts

Excellent Speakers all around. I would add an Amplifier as the S8's sound their best with strong Amplification.
Adding an additional Subwoofer later would be excellent as well, but I would get an Amplifier first.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Seems simple
1. you already have 1 sub (if you didn't that would be your choice)
2. the way your talking the next purchase you Really want is a new processor
3. The sony cannot easily accept a new processor attached to it but it can easily accept an amp via preouts.
4. your Dream is to have 2 Wyred amps

Buy the Wyred amp, your half way to a dream and have cleaner more powerful amplification for your Paradigms which they will appreciate (use it as 3 way for the front three). use your Sony for the 4 surrounds for now until you can afford you new processor and the other Wyred.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. This is a fun hobby that interests a great bunch of people!

·
Registered
267 Posts

I'd definately add an amp to the S8's.

That said, why not grab an Emotiva or Yammy P-series, save $4,500 and spend that on your second sub?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

I would go for the Amp you will be amazed at the sonic improvment you will gain, especially to your fronts which beg for power, they'll love love every watt you throw at them.:T

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thank you for posting a reply. What Emotiva amp would you suggest? I am dying to get an XPR-7 when available but it will not fit in my rack, it's a beast! Is a couple of XPA-5's enough? It would supply 200w of power to my 7.1 speakers and then I could also biamp the FL, FR and C. I have been thinking about that as well. What do you think?

·
Registered
54 Posts

I have an xpa-5 and love it. Not familiar with your speakers sensitivity, but it will be a huge step up from the Sony. I can't believe how cool it runs.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

The XPA 5's will bring your speakers to life that is for sure, i had one awhile back and couldn't believe the improvemnt in sound quality. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better deal for power to price ratio on new products. I'm awaiting the the big 7 channel, i'm gonna make room for it.:T

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I just figured that the Wyred 4 Sound amp had a crazy amount of power (500wX3, 250wX4) and would easily power anything. I am not sure how much power is enough to easily drive my Paradigm S8s to their full potential and I simply thought that with the Wyred amp, I wouldn't have to worry.

Should I maybe just get a couple of Emotiva XPA-5s (so I can go 7.1 with a biamp to the 3 front channels) and spend the larger amount of money on an excellent processor? Emotiva gets great reviews and I'm not at all hesitant to buy from them, but the question remains is 200w/channel enough? (Remember I've only ever owned that little Sony receiver, so I have very little experience to judge.)

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

The S8's are certainly power hungry but i know you will hear an astounding differance using the Emotiva's. Maybe go for an XPA 2 for the fronts and do the rest of your getup with the XPA 5. Otherwise if you have the cash go for the Wyerd being that they are very powerful. IMO i think you'll be more then impressed with the Emotiva's. Also you have a 30 day money back gaurantee.:T

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I have the opportunity to purchase a used, but beautiful condition, Wyred 4 Sound (500wX3, 250wX4) for $2700, all in. Or...you're right, I go for the Emotiva and spend the extra $ some where else. Do you think the price on the Wyred is too good to pass up? I'm confused.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

I don't see the amp your speaking of on there site. Lets just say if it's the one i think it is then you are getting somewhere in the range of $1000 dollers off, i don't know anything about wyerd's reputation but some questions to ask would be. How old is it? What were it's uses and under what conditions was it in (smoke, pets, etc.)?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts