Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t posted in some time. Have been busy with kids, home reno and other things… :innocent:

Overall I’m very happy from Scorpion mix :clap: :T however I wish I could get a little better black level due to my Optoma HD65 PJ (not the greatest contrast).
Will there be a noticeable improvement, or the difference would be minimal at best???

I’m just pondering idea if it is worth hassle to repaint the screen. My 110” mdf screen (rapped in black velvet) is screwed to the drywall so I will have to use masking tape (grrrrr) on black velvet to prevent it from painting it…

I do have a quart of BW based on CIL paint (Todd’s mix). Both mechman and Harpmaker said it was a little bit off (I believe it was in yellow-orange range), but possibly not noticeably to the inexperienced naked eye. However if you guys think I might opt to invest and prepare new BW mix based on recommended paints.

Also I find my PJ too bright and it looks like the screen is “glowing” a little during dark scenes. i.e. when watching “The Pacific” TV show during night scenes If I lower the brightness I lose shadow detail. I guess I’m over the “Wow” factor (my first projector) and I’m starting to see shortcomings of my el cheapo Optoma HD65 or maybe I’m just getting too picky…. :whistling:

Perhaps a better idea is to save ~$50 (cost to mix new BW) toward buying a new PJ with a better contrast level once the lamp dies in HD65? :ponder:

So should I or I should not roll BW over Scropion??? :dontknow:

TIA :bigsmile:
p.s. Don, some things do not change, plz empty your PMs I couldn’t send you one…. :heehee:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Martin,

You should be able to paint BW™ directly over Scorpion™ with no problems, but the difference, while visible, would be minimal (the difference is only about N0.3 between the samples of these mixes you were kind enough to send me). Since Tiddler's BW™ mix is a bit strong in yellow I suspect you could safely add a bit of black paint to that mix to get it darker. It would probably only take an ounce or two added to your quart of BW™ so you could buy one of those $3 8 oz. samplers of Behr at Home Depot if you don't have any flat black latex or acrylic paint in the garage.

Before I would mess with painting your screen again I would try adjusting the Gamma of your PJ instead of the Brightness; it can make a huge difference in image quality.

Yep, you're right about me and my PM situation. It's a long story, which I won't belabor you with, but I will work on making some PM room. Sorry that both you and Smuggs have tried to PM me only to find my inbox full. :blush: :hide:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a promt/wise reply.... I was just teasing you about your PM box, you have always full because you trying to help everyone...

As per your suggestion I'll revist my PJ's settings and if possible I'll tweak it. I find calibrating projector much more dificult than calibrating i.e. CRT TV... grrrrr....

Regardless if the difference between mixes would be very tiny, I don't think it is worth spending my time/money on repainting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts