Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some speakers laying around the house and decided to build a absolute bottom dollar budget sub out of them for fun, and because I couldn't find any other use for them. They were Goldwood GW-1244, which aren't even actually subwoofers but I digress.

I managed to build one and get it up and running for less than $15.00 so far and am pretty amused with the results. I have it in a 4 cu ft box tuned to 24hz and am driving it with an amplifier that was taken out of a cheap HTIB sub that one of my room mates left when he moved out, the lowpass crossover on that is set to 60hz, tho I'm guessing it is probably only a 1st order crossover and is letting a bit too much high frequency through.

Eventually I'll drive it with something better but for now the amp its hooked up to is more in the budget and spirit of the project.

The thing actually works pretty well but has a sortof droning or nasal quality on some recordings. Especially rock and metal with electric guitar. Messing with the gain and phase I've got it somewhat worked out but was wondering if I took out the driver and shoved in a buch of stuffing if it would help, hurt or make no difference.

Seeing as a bag of pillow stuffing is only a few dollars at Walmart I'll probably try it, since the best way to learn is by doing. But it might be a little while before I get around to trying that so I thought I would ask here and see what you guys think. Any input?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I punched in the T/S parameters from your other thread and I have to say that these woofers model "interestingly." According to WinISD BETA, you'd need a 30 ft^3 box tuned to 20 hz to get a decent response curve (probably simply modeling incorrectly)... 4 ft^3 and 24 Hz doesn't respond well at all; You get a lot of gain from 30 Hz to 100 Hz which is probably why it sounds weird. I'd say to get the "most" out of this setup you'll need a lower LPF.

Edit: Going along those lines, though... Since the woofer seems to like a large enclosure, adding the stuffing will more-than-likely get rid of some of the "color" that the enclosure is adding (though I doubt it'll be substantial).

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I have the thing up and running I was seeing if any other cheap 12s work well with that enclosure and the Dayton DVC SD315-88 models pretty well in that box and is only like $43 at PE so I might slap one of those in there eventually. But in the mean time as a cheapo project I'll throw some stuffing in it to learn and see how it acts.

Yeah a steeper slope and or lower low pass filter will probably help too. So if I ever get something with more fine tuning on the LPF and a better slope that might help too. And eventually I might just cough up $50, or $50 each and do the Dayton DVCs instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts