Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Have you pre-ordered Windows 7?

• Yes! Can't beat that price!

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No. But I plan to.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No. I'll wait for you to work any bugs out.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. No intention of upgrading.

Votes: 10 43.5%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone take advantage of the great upgrade deals on Windows 7 yet? I did. I have a Pro and two Home Premium versions on order. A colleague of mine has been running the RC for awhile and likes it a lot. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it in the trade mags as well.

I had my laptop running Vista for about a month or two and had to run back to XP.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
It's new and it's from M$, what more do you need to know... :rolleyesno:

Sorry to have so negative an opinion about Microsoft, but they bloody well deserve it. They have been going downhill for many years, but what they did with Vista should be a criminal offense. :rant:

While Windows 7 may actually work properly (I'll have to see it to believe it), it will still be full of DRM wonderfulness. :sick:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
For my Vista machine, I won't be upgrading, since there is no substantial difference between it and Windows 7. Vista is a fairly good operating system now since the service packs.

I would like to upgrade my XP machine, but there is no information available on the method of validating the pre-existing copy of XP with a blank disk drive (that I can find anyway).

I want to time the upgrade to Windows 7 with the purchase of a new motherboard and a new disk. So, if I have a blank disk, I want to be able to load the upgrade copy of Windows 7. From my reading, they discuss scanning the disk drive for a legal copy of XP (which I have), but they don't mention anything about the capability of entering your XP code or CD for verification when you have an empty disk.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
It certainly handles media better. I certainly like Windows Media Center (which comes with Vista and Windows 7).

Any networking chores are at lot simpler (IMO) with Vista (and since Windows 7 is just a pumped up Vista, I suppose it will be the same).

Vista, and it looks even more-so with W7, that managing multiple windows of open apps is better.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am in love :kiss: with my 64-bit Vista Ultimate. No issues at all thus far... :T

Except they took my Backgammon away. :hissyfit:

At least they are including the 32-bit and 64-bit versions in the upgrade deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been running the Beta and now RC copy of Win7 for more than 6 months now. It is very nice.
I've never used vista but purchased 2 upgrade disks for my two xp machines. Unfortunately I will have to buy the retail version for the PC I built that's running the RC.
Cant wait to have Win7 as my media center pc.... XP MCE sucks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried to install the beta on my laptop and it wouldn't work, after the 3rd try i took that as a view of things to come and I will just stick with Vista since i had no option to go with XP when i bought my laptop, my desktop will be staying XP for sure.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I will be buying Windows 7, but I will be avoiding OEM and Upgrade Versions because:

OEM can only be installed on one machine.
OEM cannot be applied to future motherboard upgrades.
FULL version in Retail Packaging Includes more flexible repair/install/recovery options
FULL version in Retail Packaging Does not have to deal with activation hoops and hurdles every time you change something.
Upgrade versions can be a nightmare to reinstall, recover, or repair.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I will probably buy it when it starts nagging. I love it so far. I never could get Vista to work properly on my gaming machine, but with Win7 everything just snaps into place and work. No hassle, faster than XP and just as stable. I also went 64bit this time, as 64bit driver support is MUCH better than with XP.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I will probably buy it when it starts nagging. I love it so far. I never could get Vista to work properly on my gaming machine, but with Win7 everything just snaps into place and work. No hassle, faster than XP and just as stable. I also went 64bit this time, as 64bit driver support is MUCH better than with XP.
Just think about it, with out the existence and/or failings of Windows Vista; Microsoft would have no incentive or foundation to build Windows 7 upon. The same could be said for XP, if MS had never created the Windows ME failure...... we'd have no XP and would likely be running a 2008 version of Win98 with no NT foundations. Every time they fail, MS feels the need to work harder and make the next product better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm comfortable with my Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition too. Only had one BSOD and that happened shortly after a completed the build of my new machine for my office and it never happened again so I don't know what made it do it.

As far as Vista is concerned I think it's got a lot of anti-fanboys parroting what they heard, I've never had a problem with Vista. I still can't get used to it, I've talked to techs that hate it because it's hard to work on supposedly. I don't have to worry about that so I don't care so much.

My feeling with 7 is Microsoft has done a lot better job of putting a BETA out there and having accessible to a wider test group. They don't want egg on their face with this one and I think this will have the type of success that XP ultimately had. Hopefully they won't mess it up by having 13 versions of 7 like they did with Vista :) 7 basic 7 almost home 7 awesome. Really do we need all that...just put out some thing works without having to sit there and debate about it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I may give 7 a shot eventually. I'm still happy with XP Pro, but if there are significant advancements I will check it out.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I worry about all the software incompatibility issues that will arise if I upgrade to 7 from XP. Far to big a risk IMOP.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Awesome, bragging on my vista machine and the power went out last night due to a storm and now the thing won't boot up. It acts like it's going through the boot process and goes dark right before you expect it to start playing the welcome music and goes to BSOD dumping memory etc etc. It reboots automatically and continues to do that over and over...it happens too fast so I can't figure out what the code is.

I need to see what the LED display on my mobo says at that moment of failure and look that up I guess. I hate Vista :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
No I tried safe mode and safe mode with networking. Same deal. Acts like hardware related but I don't have any spare parts to troubleshoot. I unplugged it from the PSU and am letting it set all day, maybe when I plug it back in it'll come back alive. I may reset CMOS if that doesn't work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts