Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I know someone that has been using it for about 3 months and he says its a big step in the right direction but still says that alot of it is just more eye candy. He says its very stable.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,... seems to be pretty quiet. Have not heard much good or bad, or maybe I've just not been paying much attention. Not interested in more eye candy.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I've been using the 64 bit beta for a while and more recently the RC.
It works well, no crashes. However if you have a device that doesn't have a Win 7 driver then you can use the one that works in XP, unless you load the 64 bit version of Win 7. Doh... :doh:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I have heard nothing bad about it at all. Coincidentally, I have my copies at the moment and have been running around the internet getting all the appropriate drivers for upgrading. I'm planning on doing it tonight.

I'll keep you up to date. :T

Drivers I've needed so far:
  • Nvidia drivers
  • Printer drivers
  • Audio drivers - Soundblaster
  • SATA driver for MB
  • LAN card drivers
  • Mouse drivers (RAZER) prolly not necessary

I am now running around to see what's not going to be compatible - program wise. I have the Pro version so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But I'm gonna check anyways.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Most of the folks here are adept at computers so this isn't so much a warning as just an article I found interesting concerning upgrading machines to Win7.

excerpt:
"Among the top subjects on Microsoft's support forum is one that has put some PCs into an endless reboot loop when their owners tried to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. Microsoft has not yet come up with a solution that works for all the users who have reported the problem, sparking frustration."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ld_delay_Windows_7_upgrade_support_firm_warns

Windows 7 endless reboot answer evades Microsoft.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139991/Windows_7_endless_reboot_answer_evades_Microsoft?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Well the move from XP to 7 was quick and painless. But it wasn't really an 'upgrade'. It's a clean install with WinXP moved to a folder called 'windows.old'. It's still possible for me to boot into it and use it if I needed to or get that errant file off the desktop if needed.

I always prefer a clean install. The only time I did an upgrade was from XP to Vista and I went running back.

Harp - It's my understanding that this has been from folks who purchased a digital copy and are attempting to use a burnt dvd to install.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Well the move from XP to 7 was quick and painless. But it wasn't really an 'upgrade'. It's a clean install with WinXP moved to a folder called 'windows.old'. It's still possible for me to boot into it and use it if I needed to or get that errant file off the desktop if needed.
Just to make sure I'm reading you correctly, you are saying that you, in essence, have a dual-boot PC now? That XP can still be used? Interesting... are you given a OS choice at boot or do you have to select XP before shutting down Win7?

I always prefer a clean install. The only time I did an upgrade was from XP to Vista and I went running back.
Clean installs are always the best.

I'm not going to revisit the whole Vista debacle, but if a company smaller than MS did that they would be history by now; and perhaps in jail.

Harp - It's my understanding that this has been from folks who purchased a digital copy and are attempting to use a burnt dvd to install.
I just ran into those articles while searching for other things, I'm not really following the trials and tribulations of Win7 since the only way I might use it is if MS pays me!

The bottom line is that I don't trust MS at all... zero, zip, nada. I would put almost nothing past them if it made them a buck. Vista is the prime example, but such business practices go back many, many years.

There should be no difference between a downloaded digital copy of Win7 and a stamped DVD. To have supposedly misburned DVD's be causing the same problem sounds fishy to me.

I want to again be clear that I truly wish all those trying Win7 the best of luck, but I remain skeptical. It took them years to get XP working right!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have installed Win7 x64 onto 3 pc's on my network - HTPC, work pc and games pc. In all cases the installation went smoothly and quickly, there were no compatability issues other than the Logitech 1000i remote controller on the HTPC - I havent spent any time as yet looking into it.

Reports indicate that if a driver works on Vista then it should work on Win7.

Using Win7 on the HTPC is an improvement over Vista and XP media centre. The interface is smooth, larger icons, has better compatability with varying codecs, sharing media over networks, etc

My view is that Win7 is a more viable operating system that any prior Windows desktop platform.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have installed Win7 x64 onto 3 pc's on my network - HTPC, work pc and games pc. In all cases the installation went smoothly and quickly, there were no compatability issues other than the Logitech 1000i remote controller on the HTPC - I havent spent any time as yet looking into it.

Reports indicate that if a driver works on Vista then it should work on Win7.

Using Win7 on the HTPC is an improvement over Vista and XP media centre. The interface is smooth, larger icons, has better compatability with varying codecs, sharing media over networks, etc

My view is that Win7 is a more viable operating system that any prior Windows desktop platform.
Same here, 3 PCs including main HTPC and so far so good. x64 on the HTPC and x86 for the laptops.

The resolution independent font scaling feature is nice but I have had an issue using it with J. River (had to use XP mode).

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Just a general comment for the thread. It would really help if those that like or dislike Windows 7 would explain why in as much detail as possible. :T

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with Don. A little detail would be great.
Please convince me that Windows 7 would be an upgrade from XP :dontknow:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
What I like so far...

- The revamped taskbar. The old one has been around since Win95 and had run its course. The new one is very nice and I like the preview windows. As a person who normally has multiple windows/applications open, the new taskbar is a boon!

- As with any new OS, I like the look of it. It seems to be a little softer on the eyes. That was one thing that I always thought Apple had done right - the look of their OS. Of course I was a BEOS early adopter too - call me a nut. I believe there's some sort of Clear Type font or something as well. Makes the text a little smoother.

- Speed. Application wise I haven't noticed a boost. But the time it takes to come out of standby seems to be cut significantly. And the reboot and boot up times are quite a bit shorter as well.

- Gadgets - most of these you can probably get for XP. I know I had sticky notes on XP. But I don't recall it being integrated all that well.

There are more things that you may or may not like. You can see a review of the new OS here. MaxPC never gives any software or hardware a free pass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To add to me previous post, the ability to increase the size of the icons is a plus as it makes it much easier to see what the icons are if you have a high screen resolution. You can do this irrespective of screen resolution, except for 640x480 from memory.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
To add to me previous post, the ability to increase the size of the icons is a plus as it makes it much easier to see what the icons are if you have a high screen resolution. You can do this irrespective of screen resolution, except for 640x480 from memory.
That kind of brings up my first problem with Win7. You can't make them smaller. With 20/15 vision I like them smaller than the average person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Active Title Bar size in the Advanced Appearance settings can control icon size in the taskbar, but it usually mucks up the systray icons (which can be hidden of course). Not sure how small you can get with the icons.

I use ObjectDock on a 1920x1080 HTPC so I can have very large high res. icons right in the desktop for my family.

Edit - I just made my icons pretty small. It probably also depends on your resolution; this monitor at work is a decent size widescreen, maybe 1680x1050.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts