Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just updated to Windows 8.1 and now REW will not Startup or Uninstall

Anybody else experience this problem, REW was just working fine yesterday.

:hissyfit:
Just a guess - but could it be your video driver? For example, XBMC busted on my after the update - and it wouldn't uninstall either ( I had to do it manually ). A fresh instal yielded no better results. I ended up on a hunch rolling back the Nvidia driver I had installed ( a beta ) for WIN 8 to the certified Nvidia driver for 8.1 - and it fixed the problem. Perhaps there was an issue with the audio driver and re-installing your current drivers will help ( they're bundled with the video card drivers with Nvidia, don't know about AMD ).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a guess - ....
Thanks for your input on the matter.

I am also having problems now with:

Java as I uninstalled version "7 update 21" to the current version "7 update 45" and now Java will not run in any web browser either. Nor will the Java Console launch to view settings Complete Fail !

Error messages about needing to re-install .Net Framwork 1.1 in the Windows Action Center and when I go through the support link and download it when trying to install it fails. Complete Fail !

Nvidia GeForce Experience would not launch either and so I re-downloading and installed it (already have latest drivers GPU drivers) ... This Resolved and Works now !

Just a note this is not an update to the OS this is actually an upgrade and completely re-installs Windows (But it does save all your apps/settings) you end up with the "Windows.old" folder in your system drive after completed.

I am dissatisfied with the results and will re-install back to Window 8

:rant:

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
On the Java in the browser part, you usually need to install the 32-bit Java runtime for your browsers, and the 64-bit runtime for your other applications if you are on a 64-bit platform (not that there is anything to tell you that!).

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Might also be cured by installing the 32-bit Java runtime - emphasise might there though, if the error is still in that d3d9.dll module listed in the initial post then that is a DirectX video driver issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the REW install program Event Viewer error. It shows the same cause.

REW worked fine just 18 hours ago nothing has changed no other app installs no other program updates nothing but Windows ver. 8.1 I went to sleep came home from work updated to Win.Ver 8.1 and now all the errors and cannot even re-install the program.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Honestly, I don't want to risk 8.1 on my PCs until the dust settles.

This post has info related to Java and Windows 8.1, but doesn't mean it will be the issue you are experiencing - in particular it is unlikely to affect the d3d9.dll video driver problem. This post mentions a video driver upgrade, but whether it is relevant depends on whose video card you have.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the 32bit Java runtime installed. And as I said now even that is broken. I cannot even access the Java Console from the Control panel. Java is broken now too!

John, can you test REW with Windows ver. 8.1 for us?
Another stab in the dark - perhaps redundant registry entries still left after the update are messing things up? I'd take a shot at using CCcleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner ( it's free and safe ). Use it's registry cleaner tool. Then reboot, and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
43 Posts
W3Rman,

Honestly, I have to say that REW works fine with Windows 8.1 Professional.
I've downloaded it yesterday but I have to say that it took a long time to upgrade.
Never leave your pc alone.
The first attempt crashed after one and a half hour because Microsoft servers were overcrowded.

You can download TuneUp Utilities 2014 for a 15 days trial.
You have an option to shred folders without uninstalling them.
Tonight, it's too late to help you (10:00 PM in Normandy) but tomorrow is an other day !

Your registry seems to be rotten.

Cheers,
Bernard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
W3Rman,

Honestly, I have to say that REW works fine with Windows 8.1 Professional.

Cheers,
Bernard
Nice to know thanks for posting.

Anyway, I must re-install Win_8. I am experienced user, have an outstanding gaming rig and honestly its been so long I can't remember when the last time I had compatibility issues or errors that could not be resolve within 15min. never have had any problems with Win_8 except after upgrading to Win_8.1 which has resulted in corruption and several issues as explained earlier.

I understand that it will not be the same experience for everyone but this is a result of the upgrade.

Regards,

W3Rman

·
Registered
43 Posts
| Anyway, I must re-install Win_8.

This is the best solution after formatting the system disk.
I use two drives. A 64GB SSD for the OS and a second disc with three partitions for documents, pictures, and music.
With a single disk, four partitions are created.
After formatting C: and reinstall Windows 8, migrate directly to Windows 8.1.
When done, don't forget the latest updates for the graphics card and the sound card.
Install 32-bit JRE and then REW.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts