Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting close to doing some subs for my remodeled house & I have no clue which direction is the best way to go. Where do I get the programs to help me figure out what size sub/box I should go with & also the number of subs? Or is it something some of you can help me with?

I see there is some talk about using 3 subs which is something I could do, it's just will 3 15's be OK or should I go with 3 18's? I will probably need to keep the box at/under 30 ish inches sq so it doesn't look to big. Should I consider passive radiators?

Not sure on amps, possibly a ep2500 or similar per speaker if needed however I would prefer 1 amp for all the subs for money reasons. Presently I use infinity kappa 8.1vII's for mains & rear powered by a parasound HCA-1500. A pair of Kappa video's for center & I plan on trying to find another pair for rear 7.1 effects, also powered by a parasound hca-1500. I do plan on getting something better more powerfull for my main speakers......

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
A good modeling program to use is WinISD Pro, there is a tutorial on it here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...wnload-detailed-guide-how-use-winisd-pro.html

As for what size sub/box you should go with, that will depend on a few things.

1. What will the subs be used for, HT, Music, or both?
2. Budget for subs and amp or amps?
3. How big is the room, is it closed off from the rest of the house or open to other areas?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I would say both. I haven't been able to hook up my kappa's in their new position yet & depending on how they sound I might want to use the subs for both

2) Not 100% sure what my budget is. I have read good things about soundsplinter & also the exodus audio subs so unless there is something better for similar money that's where I would like to spend my money. I have no clue what I will spend on amps but I figure that will depend on the subs I use.

3) Rough dimensions are 30ft x 20ft x 8ft. There are 2 opening on each end of where the stereo/TV will go that opends up to the rest of the house. Both openings are around 4ft across.......

I also wouldn't have a problem using PR's if that's superior to a sealed box especially if that would let me get by with 2 subs & not need a 3rd.

thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet.... that's what I needed!

2 18's & 2 PR's per sub :)

Just need to figure out which amp now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts