Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does everyone prefer when connecting amp to speakers and preamp ?

1. Long speaker wire from amp to speaker (short inter connect cable)
2. Long interconnect cables to preamp (short wire length to speaker)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would think like me, most people would prefer using the RIGHT length of interconnect and speaker cable. :smile:

As in - using a short speaker cable will not cut it if the speaker is on the other side of the room.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The short simple answer is>> It's just generally better to have shorter speaker wire runs because with longer speaker wire runs lower frequency (bass) energy dissipates quickly as the run gets longer.

Smaller gauge speaker wire (18-16) makes this dissipation much worse. Larger gauge speaker wire (12-10) helps this but only to a point. This is within reason thought. There is no significant difference between a 5 foot speaker wire run and a 10 foot run but for a longer speaker wire runs (20 to 25+ feet) >> try to get the amp closer to the distant speakers and run balanced line-level connections (inter connects) to the distant amp. RCA line-level connections to the distant amp are generally ok up to about 20 feet but I wouldn't recommend RCA line-level connections over 20 feet long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts