Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings one and all,

I have come across an offering from several different companies (Martin Logan,SVS) for a 2.4 GHZ wireless adapter that connects to the preamp and the subwoofer. Has anyone ever used these? What level of degradation, if any, did you experience.

The idea of a wireless link would be great in the home theater I am building as it would allow total flexibility on subwoofer placement.

Thanks all,

~Matthew

·
Registered
492 Posts
I personally don't own a wireless sub adapter, but I've heard many people that have used them especially from outlaw audio and SVS. from what I've understood, there isn't really any loss of sound quality are performance in using those. I'm actually thinking of picking one up myself instead of running 100' of cable through my attic and walls.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Ditto, haven't used them as I'm all wired, but several Shacksters have reported no signal/quality loss.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
True statement, Mike. I run my network at 5GHz for that reason. I get noise in the wireless phones at 2.4.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The Martin Logan SW-1 (I think) is proprietary to the dynamo 700/100/1500 subs. It now ships with them and works wonderfully!

I have no personal experience with the SVS.

Speaker Craft used to sell a great little rear-wireless kit that could also be used as a wireless LFE for about $200.

We sell a $60 kit at our big blue box from RocketFish that does a surprisingly good job and has saved our installers on multiple occasions.

With any wireless kit you'll introduce a slight delay in audio (but room correction will mostly solve that issue) and everyone's home is different; so you'll need to experiment with a kit in your home to see if it works for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Rabb-byte,

My system is as follows:

FR & FL: Martin Logan Ethos
Center: Martin Logan Stage X
SR & SL: Martin Logan Vanquish
RR & RL: Martin Logan Vanquish
Subwoofers (2): SVS PB13 - Ultra

SVS has a solution for $79.99 that may work for me. It does emit at 2.4 GHZ, which, according to some of the responses on this site, could be problematic with other technologies working on the same frequency.

The main reason I want to go wireless is portability. I want to move the subwoofers around the room to find that perfect "sweet spot". Another option I may look into is purchasing one of the SVS wireless adapters, move my subwoofers around until they are in perfect position, then hard wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Stereo base on its own can help minimize modes in the room you just need to run both in mono not left/right or front/back. That said you won't know if you you're getting interference till you try.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decision made: I am purchasing the SVS wireless adapters. SVS has a 45 day return policy so it seems like a safe bet.

Thanks,

Matthew

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you get it, you realize we expect a full review of it. Right? Lol
LOL...indeed

I will provide the review in English and Spanish! Of course there will only be two options: "it works", "it doesn't work" !

Matthew

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with this SVS has a solution for $79.99 that may work for me. It does emit at 2.4 GHZ, which, according to some of the responses on this site, could be problematic with other technologies working on the same frequency.

The main reason I want to go wireless is portability. I want to move the subwoofers around the room to find that perfect "sweet spot". Another option I may look into is purchasing one of the SVS wireless adapters, move my subwoofers around until they are in perfect position, then hard wire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts