Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i I would appreciate some wisdom as to how this amp might perform with a 4-5 cu ft box tuned to 16-18 Hz using a PE 12" Titanic driver (kind of a SVS NSD-12 clone).
Will listen to music, HT and some low Church organ stuff. Basement room is 50' X 12' X 7.5 '

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I was able to get these graphs from BASH the OEM: (I NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING THEM TO SEE IF THEY ARE SUITABLE FOR THE ABOVE APPLICATION)

Power rating 500 WRMS @ 4ohms @ .05 % DISTORTION

The rackmount amp features: infinite variable phase 0-180, a crossover switch variable/bypass,
40-120 variable crossover, level (gain), on the front panel.
ON/OFF Line in L/R, Line out L/R, Speaker L/R on the rear panel

·
Registered
407 Posts
Based on the frequency curves, I would vote no. Looks like they both have a subsonic filter roll off starting around 30hz.

Be mindful of excursion in your proposed alignment if you like to listen at "11". Even with a 4 ft^3/20hz tune, 500 watts can push you past Xmax around 27hz. Larger box and/or lower tune will lower your excursion limited power handling. The Titanics aren't known for having a lot of Xsus beyond the rated Xmax...the Dumax report only measured .5mm difference. It doesn't make the Titanic a bad choice, plenty of happy builders over the years...just something to be aware of.

-Brent

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Those response graphs don't look like amplifier graphs. The graphs look more like speaker response curves. However, if they are the amp curves with equalization and that's the only way you can run the amp then I agree, the amps are NOT what you're looking for.
Also that room 50X12X7.5 (4500 cubic feet) is going to soak up a lot of power. You'll probably need two amps and two subs to fill the room with high intensity low frequency sound whether it's music or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts