Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We may as well go ahead and start a wishlist thread for the next REW upgrade.

Post your suggestions in this thread please! Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My request for total newbies:

* Step-by-step wizard interface...just connecting cables, clicking next, you know.
1) Setup soundcard
2) Calibrate soundcard
3) Setup SPL-meter
4) Calibrate SPL-meter
5) Other settings
6) Make first measurement

something like that.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a couple. Not critical but desirable I think and certainly not meant as criticisms.

Keeping the target cut-off and meter cal curves visible after "all measured" button is pressed. It would aid comparisons between the curves rather than judging by eye.

More trial curves saved beyond the present 9. There seems to be lots of room in the left margin for at least twice as many. REW is so quick to use that many trials are easily possible in half an hour of trying BFD filters. I found myself repeatedly deleting valid trials and quickly lost sight of my first filter trials. So I was unable to monitor actual progress rather than follow hunches.

That said, these curves could have been saved as Jpegs or .mdat files if I really wanted them.

I consider 4.0 a considerable advance on 3.29. Thankyou John and friends.

G

·
The only thing I can't seem to find is the following:

The ability to combine a calculated sub response with a measured speaker response to help with estimating their combined response. This may help when working with filters to make sure the crossover point isn't affected.

I like the idea of a wizard for initial setup too. Maybe help make it idiot proof by adding a simple setup diagram. (Soundcard-->receiver mic-->line-in)

The only other thing I can think of is if there was a way to "simulate" the filters by altering a signal going out to a receiver.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is if there was a way to "simulate" the filters by altering a signal going out to a receiver.
That's relatively straightforward for the test signal, which then allows measuring the effects of filters without having to download them to a BFD (or even have a BFD). It will be part of the process of optimising the filter settings through multiple passes of measuring, applying filters, re-measuring etc. Needs some thought on how the UI for that works though. One of the (many) things on the dev list. Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
It will be part of the process of optimising the filter settings through multiple passes of measuring, applying filters, re-measuring etc
Yeah, I thought that a rather smart suggestion by niget2002. It was right in line with the standard troubles lovingdvd was having with the remeasuring conundrum. It would be a great feature to have since you wouldn't need to enter your filters every time. You could just keep sweeping with a filtered signal until you liked the result. Then you would know that once you put in the filters to the BFD, it would be correct the first time...... :clap:

brucek

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, I thought that a rather smart suggestion by niget2002. It was right in line with the standard troubles lovingdvd was having with the remeasuring conundrum. It would be a great feature to have since you wouldn't need to enter your filters every time. You could just keep sweeping with a filtered signal until you liked the result. Then you would know that once you put in the filters to the BFD, it would be correct the first time...... :clap:

brucek
Yes, exactly. In fact I posted about this earlier today here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfd-rew-forum/3247-how-do-i-measure-then-remeasure.html

So am I correct to assume that the way things work now you get one crack at it and once you measure you can't remeasure based on the last results, but rather you have to keep going back to the original mdat with the filters?

Man, this new simulated results feature would provide a HUGE leap forward in terms of ease of use and speed up the process greatly.

Right now its very tedious and time consuming to keep entering everything into the BFD manually. Will be better once my 1.4 chip comes so I can use MIDI, but the simulation will be fantastic. Funny thing is what I consider tedious must be light years better than how things were before REW and all this had to be manually calculated!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
One feature I'd like to see is to have an option to have REW recommend or at least work with positive gains to fill gaps, at least smaller ones. I know adding gain is generally considered a no-no, but in some cases it makes sense.

brucek - I know you probably thought I was crazy the other day when I said that REW kept deleting my AUTO filters when I added them and told it to optimize... I figured out it was because these filters were for +dB (gains).

So my feature request is to have REW work with +dB gain filters that I add in as AUTO and take them into consideration when optimizing (even if it doesn't recommend any itself automatically). Thanks.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
have REW recommend or at least work with positive gains to fill gaps, at least smaller ones. I know adding gain is generally considered a no-no, but in some cases it makes sense.
Not really.... reduces dynamic range and signal to noise ratio. You want gain, turn up the sub....

brucek

·
Registered
33 Posts
A direct print button in the filter window. That way i dont`t have to wright freq/BW/gain down before punching them into the Behringer.
Maybe there`s a better way than wright them down (?), but i haven`t figured that out. It`s a lot of numbers for a newbie who ads 17 filters...

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Poor John! The ink isn’t even dry on the latest version, and here we are bugging him for more! :(

I too would like to see a “quick set up” like many receiver manuals have these days, without all the “These steps are required because…” and so forth.

Also, maybe the program could default to a quick step-through after all the initial set-up is accomplished, which would show up each time the program was opened.

I’d like to see the graphs calibrated in increments of either 2 or 5 dB, not 8 dB!

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
246 Posts
It would help speed thing up if you could delete a measurement set (1 out of the 9 on the left of the screen) just by clicking on it to select it and pressing the delete key, and then saying Yes to the "Are you sure?" message.

Likewise it would be great if you could do a alt-click or shift-click to select multiple measurements and hit the delete key to delete a group at one. Often times I have a full set of 9 and want to get rid of much of them, so it can be a bit tedious to select each one individually, right click, choose Delete, say Yes to confirm, and then repeat 6 or 7 more times.

No a big deal, but just a suggestion for helping improve usability a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
A direct print button in the filter window. That way i dont`t have to wright freq/BW/gain down before punching them into the Behringer.
Maybe there`s a better way than wright them down (?), but i haven`t figured that out. It`s a lot of numbers for a newbie who ads 17 filters...
File / Export / Filters Settings as Text

This sends the filters to a file - print it...

brucek

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have Word? Actually you can even use Paint, which comes standard on all PC's. Hold down the WinKey (windows flag key) or on some computers it may be the Fn Key... and press the PrtSc key once. This places a copy of the screen on your invisible clipboard. Open Paint or Word, right click and Paste OR Edit/Paste. Then print.

It would help speed thing up if you could delete a measurement set (1 out of the 9 on the left of the screen) just by clicking on it to select it and pressing the delete key, and then saying Yes to the "Are you sure?" message.
Right click any graph on the left hand side and select Delete... does exactly what you are wanting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Another feature request would be to automatically carry the currently selected Target type (Bass Limited, Full Range, Sub) onto the next measurement. For instance tonight I was taking measurement after measurement after measurement as I dialed things in. After each one I had to keep switching the target to Full Range. Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you have Word? Actually you can even use Paint, which comes standard on all PC's. Hold down the WinKey (windows flag key) or on some computers it may be the Fn Key... and press the PrtSc key once. This places a copy of the screen on your invisible clipboard. Open Paint or Word, right click and Paste OR Edit/Paste. Then print.
Also, ALT + PrntScr will copy the current active application window in case you have lots of open progs at the same time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is there a way to have REW automatically apply the 1/3 octave smoothing options to each measurement, so that I do not have to repeatedly choose this after each measurement as I do now? If not please add this to the wish list.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts