Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New guy here ... i`m master woodworker builder and remodel contractor ...
building my first screen ..... found this place researching screens ... I have 35 years of countertop fab and installing so laminate screen right up my alley .... ok question I have a account at nevermar and picked up samples of their whites ..... any comparison between the wilsonart designer white and nevermars whites ?
closet one seems to be precision white ..... anyone used nevermar ... wilsonart is avaialble here but don`t have a account there ...... just wondering ?
thanks in advance .... paul
interesting this place being a shack ... I administrate joe`s diecast shack yuku boards with 4500 hotwheel and diecast nuts ......

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
New guy here ... i`m master woodworker builder and remodel contractor ...
building my first screen ..... found this place researching screens ... I have 35 years of countertop fab and installing so laminate screen right up my alley .... ok question I have a account at nevermar and picked up samples of their whites ..... any comparison between the wilsonart designer white and nevermars whites ?
closet one seems to be precision white ..... anyone used nevermar ... wilsonart is avaialble here but don`t have a account there ...... just wondering ?
thanks in advance .... paul
interesting this place being a shack ... I administrate joe`s diecast shack yuku boards with 4500 hotwheel and diecast nuts ......
Welcome to HTS! :wave:

I never heard of Nevamar laminates before but from what I could find on their site it looks like their product "ERASABLE PROJECTION BOARD" might be what you want. The default color is 'Chalk White' which, if their online color swatches are accurate, is quite neutral in color. Equally important is the fact that they say it has a "low glare finish". I couldn't find any listing of their finishes to compare that too, but you want a fairly flat finish to avoid hot spotting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply ,going to print that off and take it to the distributor here ,, they couldn`t find info on that when i was there a few days back ... I had heard of that ...

paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did call the wilsonart dallas office and they do have cash sales there ... 134.00 for 5 x 12
just the traffic getting there is a few hour ordeal ...

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I did call the wilsonart dallas office and they do have cash sales there ... 134.00 for 5 x 12
just the traffic getting there is a few hour ordeal ...
Some of the WilsonArt screens I have seen appear to hot spot a bit, don't know what's up with that; some people have it and others don't. I know their laminates come in different gloss finishes so maybe some sheets got mislabeled or somesuch.

Since you work with laminates I assume you know to examine the sheet for imperfections before taking delivery. Some people have gotten a sheet home before noticing problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks I will inspect ... I have never used wilsonart brand ... I never had a issue with formica or nevermar brand ... but then again never have made a panel beamed with light ... Laminate counters are kinda making a comeback ... most of my kitchens I build are granite ... huge business these days ... but huge cost ...

thanks for your help ... I will post my build ...
paul

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
thanks I will inspect ... I have never used wilsonart brand ... I never had a issue with formica or nevermar brand ... but then again never have made a panel beamed with light ... Laminate counters are kinda making a comeback ... most of my kitchens I build are granite ... huge business these days ... but huge cost ...

thanks for your help ... I will post my build ...
paul
Glad to be of help. :T

We haven't discussed your HT setup, and I don't mean to pry, but a white screen like the WilsonArt 'Designer White' or the Nevamar 'Chalk White' will only work it's best in a totally dark HT with dark colored room surfaces. It doesn't take much ambient light at all (including light reflected from the screen bouncing off light colored room surfaces back onto the screen) to make such a screen lose contrast, black level and mute colors. Of course this matters more to some people than others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
almost black stained picture frame paneling , room super dark .. i`ll start up some pictures ... may black out ceiling or a tan ceiling ..... will have dark stone firplace as well ... thanks for asking .... this is my first home theater and I recieved a epson 710hd brand new as a tip on my last job ... I know its entry level for the serious but I like to stay a couple of year behind technology .. I just got a iphone 3 yesterday ... LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here`s the den ... this is part of a whole house remodel ...

screen will be off to the left
fireplcae will be like this stone ... this has the arrow is pointing out a braciapod fossil

if you care to see some remodel pics they are here
http://68customs.com/kitchen.html
put the old sony wega 36 inch on craigslist and got a whopping 20 dollars and a back ache from loading it ...
room is 16 x 25 and will just be for the theater .....

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
This is for a Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 710, right? How big of a screen? The 710 kicks out a lot of lumens so if your are going to go with a laminate, definitely get a gray one. Will it work out ok? Who knows? There have been some reports of hot spotting with the gray laminates but if it is really bad you can just paint over the top of it if need be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes on the 710hd ....... screen approx 110 to 120 ...
going to temporarily mount the projector and a full 5 x 12 sheet before I make the actual screen size to see what looks the best .... thanks Mechman for your reply .... the shack has alot of great info I have been reading thru and learning valuble knowledge, thanks I will get the laminate soon and show my results.
I will get a fashion grey sample and see if there is a matching color in Nevermar and or make the trip to Wilsonart .... awesome ...

paul spradlin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
picked up a 5 x 12 sheet of fashion grey today at dallas wilsonart .
they will sell to anyone at the cash desk that doesn`t take cash .... LOL
148.00 with tax ......

now to build a temporary frame so i can get a look .......
thanks for the help ...... more to follow ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it just a mess ... I use a outdoor poison sprayer pump up bottle to spray it with water and let it soak a few minutes .... if it has never been painted it will scrape of like cottage cheese .... if it has been painted it must be scraped dry first to knock off the popcorn so the water will penetrate but that can be a huge mess ... anything built before 1979 contains asbestos so you must take the precautions .. I will float the ceiling smooth with no texture at all since this is my home , I have done the whole house this way ,takes a couple of more coats but sure looks nice when done .... this weekend will be the last coat then primer ... popcorn removal is a mess and use lots and lots of plastic ... when covering walls regular masking tape will get wet and fall off ... thunmtacks work good and ductape can be used on paneling or walls that have good paint adhesion ... funny i`m oiff to a job right now to scrape a bathroom ceiling ... i`ll take apic of the scraper`s I use ... basically tape and bed knife and lowes and or home depot has one that will catch some of the falling mush .... lol
more to come ,,paul ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
got ceiling all done except around crown moulding which is going to be replaced with bigger moulding
built a temporary 2 x 4 frame to fit the 5x 12 sheet of fashion grey

now to temp set up projector ..... this is overwelming huge but reality is it will be cut down after I see the best image size for the projector ..... but as projectors get better and better I will have one this size some day ....
for now my largest tv is 42" . I can already see the mounting will be glue because the screws caused some waves when installed ... this is how we learn ...may use angle aluminum to edge clamp it in place as well ...
something like this .....and perhaps wrap that in felt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome 9 feet wide first screenshot ,,,,, cars2 bluray
picture is awesome on the grey screen ....... just got the projector sitting on a card table to give it a test run .... havn`t even tried the settings yet ,,,,, right out of the box it looks very good ....

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Very nice! :T That sheet doesn't seem to hot spot at all. Could you post the details (UPC, stock number etc.) so other folks can be sure of getting the same stuff?

I am a bit concerned since it looks like you are mounting the laminate without gluing it to a substrate for strength. Laminate alone is pretty fragile stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It`s Wilson Art Fashion Grey D381-60 Standard grade which is the thickest ...
I will glue it down once I get the size ... I will build a box type frame and will skin in 1/4 mdf then glue the Laminate down . i`m a furniture builder so this is right up my alley ..... off to do more placement testing ..
thanks for all of your help ..... paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts