Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that I never said Hi to you guys, even though I already subscribed early 2007. :unbelievable:

Being a long time two channel aficionado time has come to start a budget HT setup, based around a set of 5 or 7 DIY speakers (CT230). As for the electronics, I'm clueless, too many choises and it seems that each component has its own processors, so you end up buying three and using only one. Also I'm baffeld by all the acronyms you use out here, will take some time to learn.

But first things first, get the acoustics right ...

My 2-channel set up in a dedicated room:
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace (first generation) with Grado statement master
Technics SL-1100 with Denon 103-R on the original arm or an Empire EDR.9 on a Hadcock
Toshiba SR-370 with a Denon 103-R (Shibata re-tip)
Bow ZZ-eight CD player
Graaf WFB Two pre amp
Graaf GM20 power amp
Zingali Overture 2S loudspeakers

Ingo

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Ingo, whatever questions you have about HT and the many acronyms within, we will be glad to answer.
You are correct in often the DVD Player, Blu Ray Player, and AV Receiver all offer the same processing.

Often, the AV Receiver is what you will want handling your surround decoding. Mostly because having the AVR handle it allows for Room Correction, and Bass Management to be handled in the easiest way.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Belated Welcome. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the site, Ingo!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Sonnie, thanks again for "rebooting" my account.

@JJ, found the glossary, that will help. How does one add a word / get a word added? For example ETC & TEF are not in there.

@All, thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Seed, at least in the Martin Logan Speakers vernacular, ETC stands for Energy Transfer Coupler. It is in regards to their spikes for decoupling the speakers from the floor. Now, forgive the presumption, ETC is also written to mean excetera. Which means and so forth.

TEF could be in reference to a company which makes computer based acoustic analysis tools. Otherwise, I am not sure what that means.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts