Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a segment idea for a while, and I want to do a call in, but I need your help...

I'm not a fan of terms like WAF, but they seem to exist for a reason. There seem to be very few women interested in Home Theater, and those that are interested aren't AS interested as your average guy. Is it genetic?

Women...please let me know who you are. I'd like to have you on the podcast in a future episode as part of a panel discussing this. At the very least, I'd like to be able to represent your views, so lay them out in this thread is podcasts aren't your thing.

Guys...if you know any women into HT, give them my email ([email protected]), or tell them to join the shack.

What does everyone think? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm not a fan of terms like WAF,
For those of us who do not have dedicated HT rooms, we have to share common living space with a spouse/partner and perhaps there is a better term to reflect that the final results must be suitable to all who share the area.

In any case, the concept of women and HT is interesting and could probably be the topic of a long discussion.

Bob

·
Registered
343 Posts
My wife is just the opposite of a HT fan, but I do include her in any topics w.r.t. decorating and furniture, she disliked my proposal to seperate our theater from the remainder of the room - but it was due to our computer being at the rear of the room. It would be sperated if we did this, and it would make it more difficult to see what our kids were doing on it when they are surfing. (a valid point).

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those of us who do not have dedicated HT rooms, we have to share common living space with a spouse/partner and perhaps there is a better term to reflect that the final results must be suitable to all who share the area.

In any case, the concept of women and HT is interesting and could probably be the topic of a long discussion.

Bob
I see SAF (spousal acceptance factor) used once in a while, but maybe SOAF (Significant Other Acceptance Factor) would be most appropriate. I wonder if the gender divide in HT is due to the pejorative nature of terms like "WAF".

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wonder if the gender divide in HT is due to the pejorative nature of terms like "WAF".
I don't think so, but feel free to use the more PC terms you've listed if you want. It is rare, in my experience, to find a woman who does her own oil changes and brake jobs, let alone one who talks endlessly about subwoofer design and placement. But guys do these things all of the time. I have only met ONE female member on any home theater forum I've ever been involved in.

Sorry, but that's my experience.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd agree, but I wonder if the reason there aren't more women involved in Home Theater is that we make it less acceptable/comfortable for them to be involved. Which is less socially acceptable, a woman who changes her own oil, or a male ballerina?

How many of us would love to have our wives and significant others more involved in our hobby? If so, then why do we paint the "wife" as the enemy of big subwoofers, room treatments, and expensive purchases?

Or, is it true? Does it have nothing to do with the terms that we use, and that women, through choice or predisposition, really just do not care about Home Theater? I know women have been shown to have different hearing qualities than men (sorry, can't quote the study right now), maybe they really can't hear the difference?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife is very interested in Audio/Video. She is just getting into it, but she is having a blast!
The first time we auditioned some speakers together, KEF XQ five's, with matching center/rears, she asked me to turn off the center channel.... We were listening to them in 2 channel, and it was the first time she experienced imaging. lol.

I think that females can hear just fine, but to know what to listen for, thats the issue.

She helped with my sub build, helped solder wires, etc.

When I come home, I can hear the house shaking, so I know she likes to listen at decent volumes, and has never asked to turn it down. :devil:

At her work she tries to explain 1080i vs 1080p to the guys at her work, stuff like that.
:newspaper:

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I know women have been shown to have different hearing qualities than men (sorry, can't quote the study right now), maybe they really can't hear the difference?
They may have different hearing qualities, but some can perceive the difference between two types of sound systems..
My sister (who is my greatest critic) commented that my new theatre sounded much better than my first and that it sounded cleaner and more powerful than before...even though it was the same gear in both theatres..

I think it comes down to whether they have any genuine interest in what their partner or otherwise is doing..
It's definitely more of a "Blokey" thing though in most cases, but there are some exceptions..

There is a women on AVS who is a grandmother!, and she is right into all this stuff and has setup her own Scope Theatre..Building it from scratch..and she constantly gives advice to guys on how to set up their theatres!!...One of the rare exceptions..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know women have been shown to have different hearing qualities than men (sorry, can't quote the study right now), maybe they really can't hear the difference?
I don't think you can paint that broad a stroke. I'm certain that there are plenty of women that hear better than I do. But there are seemingly few who care enough about that issue to pursue it with EQ, room treatments, feedback destroyers, and more. It is just not as big a priority (speaking generally). :blink:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The research I recall concluded that women actually have more sensitive hearing than men. If that's true, women should be more into HT (and would make excellent candidates for high-priced cable reviews).

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
My wife cares not a thing about our dedicated home theater. However, go from a 65" to a 61" big screen and she notices it and wants the larger size. She also noticed the speakers in the DLP were inferior to our former RPTV. She even asked for a speaker system for the great room. She likes surround sound, but she does not want the boom of the subwoofer... it makes her too nervous. She like respectable sound, but not loud. So I'd say she is into some form of home theater. I would have to tie her up and put a gun to her head to get her to do an interview though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My wife cares not a thing about our dedicated home theater.
My wife too:hissyfit:!

I would have to tie her up and put a gun to her head to get her to do an interview though.
I felt that way when I asked her to go audition speakers with me:thud:.

hyghwayman

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Can we infer from these comments that in general, good sound (at least in the home) means more to men than to women? If so, I think it would be a fascinating study to try to understand why this is the case (IMHO).

Bob

Let me correct this by saying the process involved in obtaining good sound since I'm sure everyone appreciates good sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Reading this thread makes me feel truely blessed. About 18 years ago I bought a surround receiver at a Macy's clearance center for our bedroom. Within the week, my wife asked me why the bedroom sounded better than our living room. I explained what the extra speakers and channels did and she insisted that we upgrade the living room. It has been a joy to suggest new technology to her because as soon as she hears or sees the benefit, she insists I do the research and obtain the best value for us.

Last summer we were considering adding a room to the house - kind of a bonus room for reading, listening to music, putting together folders for our jail ministry (we do Christian recovery programs in the county jail and work with the our state's receiving prison). I had just purchased a 15" powered sub for our great room and she insisted on a second for the new addition. When I suggested we might want to include use as a home theater, she wanted to see what the picture would be like. I borrowed an LCD we use at church and she was blown away.

We are still doing trim out, but we started using the new theater just before Christmas. We watch an average of 3 or 4 movies a week on our 115" screen and joke about the way we used to watch TV. I'm not sure who enjoys the experience more - my bride of 25 years or me. I do know that I feel a smile coming on when she says, "Wow! Did you feel it when that door slammed open" or "when the explosion went off" or some other reference to the sub adding realism to a movie.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'd agree, but I wonder if the reason there aren't more women involved in Home Theater is that we make it less acceptable/comfortable for them to be involved. Which is less socially acceptable, a woman who changes her own oil, or a male ballerina?

How many of us would love to have our wives and significant others more involved in our hobby? If so, then why do we paint the "wife" as the enemy of big subwoofers, room treatments, and expensive purchases?

Or, is it true? Does it have nothing to do with the terms that we use, and that women, through choice or predisposition, really just do not care about Home Theater? I know women have been shown to have different hearing qualities than men (sorry, can't quote the study right now), maybe they really can't hear the difference?
Woman just aren't interesed in the technical side of things like HT, cars, music and industrial stuff. If you jump on a scapbooking forum you'll see that 99% of the members are sheila's. This is because blokes just aren't interested in that stuff, it has nothing to do with the tone of their abreviations or discussions.

Most woman will enjoy a good movie and most will enjoy it better on a decent system but in their disposition the value (either $'s or labour) of a decent system generally doesn't prioritise in comparisson to things like art/culture, food, babies and social stuff (entertaining without a HT).

G

·
Woman just aren't interesed in the technical side of things like HT, cars, music and industrial stuff. If you jump on a scapbooking forum you'll see that 99% of the members are sheila's. This is because blokes just aren't interested in that stuff, it has nothing to do with the tone of their abreviations or discussions.
Has it occurred to you that some women may be interested in home theater but don't participate because of this kind of attitude?

:boxer:

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Firstly..Hi Theresa and welcome to The Shack...
It's great to have a women on board with us..A pity that more women don't join us..

From my experience of women on AV forums, they usually get treated like royalty!!...probably because they are few and far between..

If you are interested in Home Theatre, then I can assure you that you will get ALL the help you need..
Generally the hard nosed, done it all, Techno experts, fall over themselves when a lady asks for AV help..:bigsmile:

Have fun!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.