Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just left menards, i was picking up underlayment for my moms floor as she had a little disaster over the winter with broken water pipes so i'm helping to save her a buck or two by doing some of the work for her. Anyways i was also going to pick up some 3/4'' OSB for some shelvs for my garage then when i walked down the isle my jaw hit the floor as i saw the prices it has more then doubled since last year so i walked away, and hope for a sale, but just for fun i decided to check the price of 3/4'' MDF and then again shock and aw! 32$ for 4x8 when in february it was 27$ and i thought that was pricey. I remember 10 YRS ago when i was building speakers it was 19$ and i also always had to have it special orderd.

Now i know all about inflation and stuff but i just don't get it now. Seems things are getting out of hand.

So i guess my point to this thread is what you other folks are paying for your lumber around the country? :spend::spend::spend::spend::hissyfit:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya that sounds about right over here...I always try to get this 1'' ply but paying 50$ for a 4x8 hurts!
I'm not even sure if we can get quality 1'' and over here. I've seen 1''1/8 & 1''1/4 particle board but again thats special order. I've tried to get 1'' MDF and they always tell me tere is no such thing but i know i'm just shopping at the wrong store.:coocoo:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I feel ya, lowes has some really good wood over(but overpriced) here, ike 1.25'' birch, but it comes in 2x8sheets for 40-50$ :foottap:
Really?!? they said that it doesn't exist that"s hilarious, of course I've never seen that around here either:doh:

·
Registered
887 Posts
13? ply 3/4" birch 4x8 at local lumber for $50

7 ply 3/4" birch 4x8 at HD for $40 with poor quality...

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel ya, lowes has some really good wood over(but overpriced) here, ike 1.25'' birch, but it comes in 2x8sheets for 40-50$ :foottap:
Really?!? they said that it doesn't exist that"s hilarious, of course I've never seen that around here either:doh:
That's not bad. around here your gonna pay that much for 3/4''. No fair :hissyfit:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I priced the 3/4" mdf at my local lowes and it was $25.10 about a month ago, now its over $30 here also.

But what I don't understand is there is no big demand for wood here, so why is the wood so high?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I'm no economics guy, but if supply is high and demand is low with recession effects, well, it should be cheaper :dontknow: Fuel prices are on the upswing right now though, so everything will go up :rant:

As far as getting different sized wood (1"mdf) specialty places can get it, for a price. Box stores typically carry what they carry in lumber.

·
Registered
47 Posts
agree on the sticker shock,, been some time since I have purchased any sheet material and in the process of doubling the cabinet (3/4 to 1 1/2") thickness on my Altec Voice of Theater speakers I need three 4X8 sheets,, what I recall was in the mid to low teens is now the low $20s,,

of course the last gallon of paint thinner I bought was $1.78, take a look at a gallon today,, sure hope wood does not go that far,,

Derry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts