Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New to forum and I really like all help and direction members give newbees like me.

Here is my dilemma,

We recently moved in to a new home:bigsmile: and I have an Mitsu HC1500 that I am planning to install into our new home. Problem is that the throw is going to be 21', from the back of the living room to the wall. The ceiling is too high to drop a pole down and reduce the throw. :rolleyesno: The 21' throw will require a 150" screen 16:9 ratio. As per specs the HC1500 shows to be able to throw 24', but I know it will not be the best but it will do till I can afford a brighter projector.

My question: What is the best course of action for a screen? 150" is the smallest I can go with this projector at the 21' distance. I would like to make a DIY Screen with BOC, but I do not know how difficult it is to build one that large. I have not found many builds on a screen this size. Or do I just paint paint a rectangle and trim it in black and be done with it? if yes on the latter what paint would give me the best gain?

Thank you all in advance and I appreciate all your advice,

OAC

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
From PC's calulator it looks like a 144" diagonal image would be the smallest for that distance.

Also they come up with 11fL of brightness at the screen. Keep in mind that thier calculator factors in 25% bulb age.

You are right on the cusp of needing a touch more gain. You can get away with a 1.0 gain screen but in your situation I would probably go with something around 1.2 or so just to cover the bases.

You didn't mention what your lighting conditions will be like when using the projector, are we talking total lights out viewing with no abient light issues or will there be some room lighting on or light from adjacent rooms?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply wbassett,

About the lighting: room will have sun light coming in from 3 large windows during day time viewing. Blinds will help keep out the sun and I plan on adding BOC curtains if needed for day time viewing. For night time viewing there may be some ambient lighting or all lights off.

What kind of gain can I get by using paint on BOC material? Or is it better to just smooth out and paint the wall? I have read about Behr Ultra white and others, What paint will give me 1.2 gain?

Thanks again,

Osc

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You're not going to like hearing this, but your particular setup will not work with with any amount of ambient lighting more than very minor mood lighting. Even at that, mood lighting is going to have an impact. Sorry but forget about daytime viewing unless you can completely kill the ambient sunlight.

12fL is the min recommended for a total lights out dedicated room viewing setup and you're just under that. Introduce any lighting and your image is going to wash out real fast.

Behr UPW is a good basic white screen, but it's not going to have the gain you want or need, and neither is BOC. You're definitely going to need a more advanced application that has some gain or look at some commercial screens that are dialed in to the specs you need. You need a white screen or an N9 screen max with around a 1.3 gain minimum. We'll get a list of options for you :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys,

I think I am going to do some research for a better projector, then try and sell my setup. I have a 110" electric retractable screen by Elite and the HC1500.

Having a retractable screen would be nice, but they are not cheap for a screen that big.

Moving the PJ closer will never get WAF.

What do you all think about the BenQ W6000? Would it be bright enough?

Looks like the Big Screen in the living room is going on hold for a while.

Thanks again,
Osc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts