Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Worth fixing HK 230 for $130?

Tags
fixing worth
2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  nova 
G
#1 ·
My HK AVR 230 konked out the other night. I took it into a shop and the diagnosis is that the power regulator board is shot. They guy says he can rebuild it, but it'll cost $130.

Worth it?

- Jasen.

#2 ·
I'd say,... "It depends" :bigsmile:, if you have been happy with it and it does what you need, it may well be worth it. If you plan on moving up to HD/Blu-ray, HDMI and all the latest surround formats then you may want to start shopping around.

G
#4 ·
It's fixed now. I couldn't get the boss/wife to agree on spending the extra $150ish to get a nice, fresh, shiny new receiver. :crying:

It was the power regulator board. A couple of resistors shorted out. This also caused a capacitor on the amp board to let all its smoke out. :yikes:

Took me all afternoon to get everything hooked back up. I haven't retuned everything, yet, though.
Tonight while listening to it there was a strong electronic burning smell.:gah: I'm hoping it was just some flux melting off as the unit warmed up. I'm thinking of getting a fan.

Here's to hoping it lasts another few years and another generation of Audyssey & digital audio formats.

- Jasen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.