Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a baffle for a couple of years but I live in ND where the temp in my attic can easily reach -10 to -30 in the winter for quite a long period of time (so the attic won't work). My hometheater is in the old attached garage (remodeled of course) 28L x 14.6W X 9.6H. So I'm thinking of building a entry shed directly behind where the screen is so I can put a baffle directly between my mains. I would use 4 18". The room would be aprox 20' x 10' x with the cealing sloping from 9-7'. It would also house a freezer and storage boxes so it will probably be fairly full of stuff. The room will be carpeted-sheetrocked ect. My questions are

Is that a big enough room for a baffle? (seem like an attic would be much much bigger)
Does it matter if the room is full of stuff-boxes and a freezer? (giving it less cubic feet)
I assume a baffle can sit on the floor or just above the floor (does it need to be in the cealing)?

Any recommandations on some decient affordable IB 18"s, I plan on buying them used this winter and starting the addition this spring.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says the fs on those subs are 22.5hz, when I build the baffle will it output down to 14-16z?? Or if that is my goal do I need to look at something different (like a sealed or ported box). I alredy have 4 cs ultras under my couch, so I don't need any help above 25hz.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also..... I saw some picture's of a IB and the guy used a door going it the room and then sealed it off. I have a door in the front of the room but its in the right corner. Does that matter?? Sure would be nice to not have to cut a whole in the wall, and the doors blocked by bass traps and front speakers anyway. I was going to start with 2 18's first and if I love it (like I hope) sell the ultras and add 2 more for 4 total. thanks

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It says the fs on those subs are 22.5hz, when I build the baffle will it output down to 14-16z?? Or if that is my goal do I need to look at something different (like a sealed or ported box). I alredy have 4 cs ultras under my couch, so I don't need any help above 25hz.

I have a Maelstrom-X in a 7.6 cu.ft box ported to 14hz and I can hit 8hz in my room (at least my windows and pictures move from it.) And, I can move enough air through my room on the 8hz tone to move my shorts around in my doorway. You can feel a slight breeze (its not that strong) if you stand in the door to my room. I was pretty suprised with this.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude that box is way toooo big for my room, plus I don't want to see the subs anymore let alone deal with all the extreme EQing that goes with that type of cornerloading. I was thinking of 2 small sealed boxes w/18" under the couch, or a IB with two 18" in the old door. Because I already have acceptable subs underneith, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the IB because its sooo easy to make. And I already know what a LLT and a sealed sub can do for the most part. thanks though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts